Lobby interior lighting advice

novelh

Looking for some advice as to how I can improve lighting. This is a progress shot and is missing lots but I think it needs better lighting. For example behind the stairs it seems pretty dark and when I put lights there are obvious hot spots because I have to increase the intensity so much to compensate for the intensity of the MRsun. I also have a sky portal at the rear window. I am not sure it if helps the lighting much. Any advice would be welcome.

Max2009, MR

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Novel,

I can't really help in terms of mental ray settings as I use vray, but do a quick search for 'linear workflow' or 'gamma 2.2 for 3dsmax'.

Other than that...the most noticable problem in terms of modelling is the oval void above the stairs...you need to increase the amount of segments to give a smoother appearance because its the first thing you notice!

Rather than increasing the intensity, either

1)Increase the FG bounces

2)Use Photons and FG

3)Play with you exposure control

4)Add a light but turn OFF Affect specular

5)All of the above , except 1 if your using Photons (then leave fg bounces @ 0)

Personally I like a good balance of light and dark rather than having everything light evenly.

What is the "Fish Bowl" form under the stairs?

jhv

Thanks for the comments. I will explore them. The fish bowl thing is a fish tank that the client wants in the lobby. I should be getting my new computer tomorrow (yay) and I will definitely be able to get faster results. I will post updates.

For me I see that fish bowl thing lit up and making some very cool lighting results. That fish bowl should add some mood to the scene if lit and giving a nice color from it. The other thing is those lights that are hanging have you tried to turn those on to maybe give some more mood to the scene? That would solve your stairs being too dark. And probably add to some highlights to your materials. But playing with that balance should give you some nice results. But I look forward to how your do your fish bowl there.

Alex