3ds max 2009 and Windows 7 ??

nirsul

If it runs in Vista then it should run in Win7.

If nothing else, Win7 has an XP-Compatibility mode.

I think you'd only need to worry about much older programs.

Companies have to pay to get software "certified" and no one would certify an older program when it's preparing to release (yet another) newer version in a few months.

This is an educated guess, I haven't tried it personally.

I planned on upgrading my Q6600 last weekend, but haven't had to time to do so yet.

Edited by SandmanNinja

After looking into it some more... There is another item that may influence design viz people, though only those with a lot of money... Windows Home edition only supports up to 8gb of RAM. Windows Home Premium supports 16gb of RAM. Pro and higher support 192gb of RAM.

But as I said, I don't know many on this board using more than 16gb of RAM. Though that will more than likely change by the time Win7 reaches the end of its lifespan.

Also, ...the virtual XP environment for Windows7 runs an actual copy of XP service pack 3 to guarantee 100% compatibility. I believe Windows7 will need a min of 1.1gb to run idol. I think XP's footprint is only 100mb's or so. This isn't the end of the world, but it might be something to think about.

According to Microsoft's website, it is $90 to go from Home Premium to Pro.

http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-Windows-7/category/102

Wow - can't get much more compatible than that, eh?

I have 8 gigs on my Q6600 and the only time 3ds has ever taken more then 5 or 6 gigs is when some weird lighting/texture went nuts and chewed up all available ram.

But the above info makes me wish I had gone with 12-gigs on my i7 rather than just 6-gigs. But then again I'm not planning on running Windows 7 on it (at this point, anyway).

We use 8gb configs, but I have lots of scenes that would be happy with even more. Right now I often throttle them at 7,200mb's. Typically it is because I have the Dosch car collection maxed out for quality. I need to create a lower res set, but have never got around to it.

I also frequently run multiple instances of Max, and often PS at the same time too. So I could use quite a bit of RAM if I had access to it. Sometimes it is better not have access to it though, forcing you to be more efficient with your decisions. More ram could lend itself to longer render times because you can pack more detail and quality into a scene before the computer says no.

• 4 months later...
Hi

Does anybody know what are the chances of MAX 2009 running OK in the new W7 ??

AuutoDESK announced that 2010 is compatible but I still use 2009.

Nir

I'm having big troubles with 3ds max 2009 in Windows 7 Profissional (x64).

I'm trying to solve a big problem for me, but so far, I didn't find the solution anyware.

I can open it, but during my work, when the program have to think for a while, it blows up! I'm notified that "An error has occurred and the application will now close.". :mad:

When I start 3ds max, my scheme color is changed, i don't know why (but the origin of the problem could be here, i don't know!).

If someone knows the solution for this, please help!

Thank you all.

• 2 months later...

I'm also having some major problems with Max 2009 and W7 Pro, regardless of what my video settings are almost every scene I try to open Max will crash. I figured I'd have to run it under the XP64 compatibility mode but the only options available are Vista and Windows Server 2008. I've spent a whole day installing software and if I can't get this working I'm going to have to reinstall XP64. I'm running an Nvidia Quadro 3800 and never had any problems like this before.

I've got to say that so far I'm not impressed with Windows 7 or Max 2011, both of them are memory hogs, scenes that I used to render with less than 3 gigs of ram are now taking 4+gigs. Max just seems to be sluggish, and I'm pretty sure it's rendering slower than it used to.