64-bit 3ds Max, Win7 and QuickTime?

SandmanNinja

Hey Michael,

Yeah, I've preached that a lot but I heard that Windows 7 / Microsoft adds .MOV support natively to Windows 7.

Windows 7 to kill off QuickTime on PCs?

Windows Media Player adds native support for .mov files

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/windows-7-to-kill-off-quicktime-on-pcs--552193

So I was wondering if the Native support for QuickTime .MOV files would also extend to creating them.

Windows 7 to kill off QuickTime on PCs?

Hardly, I really don't think Mr Jobbs is ready to let that happen any time soon - hahaha, I can just imagine the headlines...

"Windows 7 kills Quicktime & iTunes!

Millions trading-in iPods for ZuneHD"

Honestly, Joel! Sometimes I wonder about you ;)

.mov is a proprietary format, so Quicktime X (which is 64-bit) should give you a 64-bit solution for Windows...once it's ported.

From Wikipedia,

"Ars Technica revealed that Quicktime X uses Quicktime 7.x via QTKit to run older codecs that have not made the transition to 64-bit. The status of QuickTime X's port to Windows and Mac OS X v10.5 "Leopard" is currently unknown."

Edited by shaneis

Hey Shane,

Wow! That's great news! Do you have a link to that article??

;)

Never heard of Quicktime X, but sounds promising (and slightly sexy).

But I've read reports of people viewing .MOV files inside of Windows 7 with the Media Player. And I've been using the DevalVR plug-in on my Firefox web browser for over a year now and it shows me Quicktime movies - better than Apple's QuickTime! I swear it pans smoother.

Quicktime X was released with Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6).

As for reports about .mov inside Win 7, that may well be true. It just means that MS has tapped the libavcodec library from the FFmpeg project (open source). However, the features that were originally unlocked by purchasing QT Pro would still be locked and most still are in QT X under Snow Leopard. The only truly new feature in Quicktyime X is the ability to record a screencast directly to a .mov from QT X (very cool and handy feature, I might add). A Snow Leopard user wishing to access all of the old QT Pro capabilities still needs to install a legacy version from the Snow Leopard disc.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/#quicktimex

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quicktime#QuickTime_X

If I was to take a guess at when the PC world will have access to QT X and when the "Pro" features are integrated, I'd be looking somewhere around the Macworld 2010 Expo, which has been scheduled for 11th February, 2010... but that's just a guess.

64-bit Max won't create a .MOV file - it's not available as an option.

I'm sure it can't use the 32-bit drivers because it would have to leave "protected mode" or something.

Question: Is Fusion 6.0 64-bit?

I found this link:

http://www.vfxtalk.com/forum/quicktime-fusion-64-bit-t16642.html?

Fusion x64 needs 64bit QuickTime DLLs and codecs, which don't currently exist.

However, you can install 32bit QuickTime and 32bit Fusion on your 64bit OS, and they will play nicely together as always. You don't get the full 64bit RAM advantage of course, but you still get 3.0-3.5GB.

And that's what the 32-bit version of Max is for on my computer.

But, like it's been suggested before, just output regular frames and then put it together in POST.

I guess I was just wondering. I've had Windows 7 for a few days and just no time to install it. Can't afford the computer to be down that long. Plus the usual "Hey! I didn't backup !! Dammit!" problems...