Autocad to Illustrator problem!!!

Tony

I read the posts here and configured the printer as instructed but when I try to open the file in Illustrator 8 or photoshop I get an error message that states

"The EPS Parser is unable to parse file"

I can't find a reference to EPS Parser in either program and I am lost with a serious deadline coming up.

I can export an eps file from autocad and open the file into Illustrator and it opens fine. The problem is with hidden lines, they get way out of scale and look terrible regardless if I save from model space or paper space. Regular lines do fine.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Tony

What version of the software are you using? I have never had any problems getting a plotted EPS file out of AutoCAD and into Photoshop. Illustrator I can't help you with, but I would imagine it would work the same way.

Just make sure you use the plotter wizard and choose "postscript level 2" as the plotter.

-Chad

I'm using Illustrator 8 and can't import or open a dwg file. I have not used this program in a few years si I have not upgraded, I guess I need to.

I reinstalled autocad but I still get the same error message when I try to open the printer file.

I wonder if this could be a windows problem. I'm using 2000 sp4.

I've done this MANY times, usually without a problem. As mentioned before, you need to use Adobe Postscript Level 1. I know, you said you were doing this, so that can't be the problem. Level 1 Plus worked for me in Photoshop. If that is available to you, you might try it. I would also explore some of the other Autocad export options, such as the .DWF maybe? I think you can also "copyclip" into illustrator, though you won't have lineweights anymore. Hope this helps. Triple check your method for the Adobe Postscript option, as many of us have done this without problems. The parsing error (at least that I've seen) is from using the wrong Postscript version.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I reinstalled autocad and redid the printer driver as postscript 1. I even re installed both Illustrator and Photoshop with no luck.

This must be a windows problem on my machine.

I guess i'll just export as wmf file and go with that. No line thickness but I can do that in Illustrator. Not pretty, but it works.

Hi Guys

I have one suggestion. If your work can go with Photoshop you can configure tiffversion6 (uncompressed) from plotter manager-raster file formats in AutoCAD. Decide what resolution you require and use that many pixels for your tiff output. You can use your ctb which takes care of line thickness, line type, colors and also screen values. We do huge resolution files and it works well for us. Genally we go for 200-300 pixels per inch of print output.

Hope this procedure works for you. :)