PDF writer???

STRAT

hi there :)

at some stage or other most of us have the problem of getting our autocad drawings into photoshop.

well, there are numerous methods of doing this - some good, some poor. and we all have our own prefered solutions.

for some of you who are still frustrated by this then visit the tut section here - http://www.cadtutor.net/ there's some explanations and methods here.

Undoubtably the best method is to import into either adobe illustrator or photoshop as a line or vector image, giving you complete control at any scale/size.

This means exporting from AutoCAD as a .PDF file.

Unfortunately unless you have Acrobat Writer (about £400) .PDF's are not an option.

I realise the .PDF format is an Adobe product, but i was wondering if anybody knows of any legit freeware program that will allow me to write .PDF's from autocad? We only have 1 Acrobat Write lisence at the mo, so more .PDF exporters would be most usefull.

Anyone?

(Btw Jeff, if this post leads to warez links being posted up then please delete it - i only intend legit links, if they exist!!!)

The "allmighty" ahum quizzy has the free answer...

Download DIALUX for windows you can find it here

Its about 100 MB. If you've installed it, you will notice a dialux pdf printer among your printers.

In autocad just plot to that printer and plot to file. The filename must have a .pdf extension...

That's the way it oughtta be.....

hey, thanks guys for the suggestions. i'll be sure to check them out asap :)

Quizzy - the reason for the jeepers was not because we're not on broardband (which we are) but because i was expecting a download file of more like 1 mb let alone 100mb! i was only looking for a pdf proggy, not a whole app. my I.T. manager in work here would kick my ass all down the street if i attempted to clog up our network downloading that. LOL.

Maybe i'll try it this weekend. thnx again.

Hi strat,

I did actually, because we had to color-in plans a while ago (lots of A0 300dpi files: big!)

Unfortunatelly it was all trial and error and I had a hard time making a few additionally plans look alike a few months later. Next time I'll write down the steps on it. (I remember the trick was in setting up the canvas size, but that's about what I remember.)

In the past, I used the tif/jpg output but unfortunately you cannot export to a higher resolution than your screenres. So splitting the image in 4/9/16 and photoshopping did correct this. Eps-export makes this step unnecessary, but idd it's hard, so I'll write it down next time ;)

rgds

nisus

I have exported from AutoCAD to JPG or PNG with resolutions of 8000 pixels width without problems. You only have to set a new paper size in the properties of the JPG printer.

But I can't get good results with it in the lineweight. They all are 1 pixel width.

So I think PDF is a good option.

Originally posted by Hector:

I have exported from AutoCAD to JPG or PNG with resolutions of 8000 pixels width without problems. You only have to set a new paper size in the properties of the JPG printer.

But I can't get good results with it in the lineweight. They all are 1 pixel width.

So I think PDF is a good option.

can you explain exactly how you do that please?

I'm talking plain flat 2d cad plans here, not 3d models. Autocad's renderer wond 'render' 2d plans.

thank you.

You only have to plot your drawing in the same way you plot to a printer. but. in this case. the printer is a plot to file driver. You have to add this plotter in the Plotter manager of AutoCAD. Raster file format printer. You can choose from various file formats.. JPG PNG TGA TIF... you can configure the printer to set the paper sizes (this time in pixels, no inches or centimeters). It's easy. Use the "Scale to fit" option.

Hector - cheers for the explanation. just been trying it.

same problem you got, managed to write to a jpg file at 8000x6000 but it came out very pixilated and completely non-antialiased, and no line weights.

no good unfortunately. pdf it is so far.

well guys just been experimenting and sorted out a decent solution, actually a cross between nissus's and hector's answers -

use a postscript.pc3 plot device, select your paper size and plot to file as an eps file.

cheers guys. got there in the end.

(PDF still better tho!!!)