Organizing Drawing Sets (Physically)

ivanjay

This is a question not usually posted here I am sure!

I am foodservice consultant. I typically work on 12-20 projects concurrently. Some of which have my drawings, some of which architectural, some both. I rarely need full size sets, 1/2 is typically fine.

I have a small office (roughly 10 x 10) and it is pretty full with furniture since I have a desk and drawing table.

Any creative suggestions on organizing drawing sets and storing them. I am not looking to spend $3,000 on a flat file catalog. Just want something inexpensive to help keep me organized. I am buried in drawings.

Free or cheap is the way to go here!

cardboard tubes work well for that. With half size sets, you can cut each tube in half and double your storage space. For really thick sets, try 6" concrete pier forms from a hardware store.

also, lots of architects ditching those expensive flat files so might try putting an ad on craigslist.

I am I am getting picky but I would rather not roll the sets if possible. I access most of them daily and having to unroll and roll and rubber band just gets annoying. I used to have a roll file in my office, looking for flat sets that I can quickly get to.

resize_SAF4897%20TO%20SAF4899.jpg

Safco Media Storage Trays

These can be purchased in sets of 2's for about $140. If you get 3 or more there is a discount. The picture has 7 sets ($869) and a wooden top ($105) sold by gsDirect. Or you can do like I did, make your own. 24"x48" shelving with Rosettes as spacers on each corner. Functional and inexpensive.

I agree, rolling them is the worst thing you can do to them. Plus that is not very efficient use of space. As an architect long before the days of computers, I faced this same problem. I always found it best to hang them verically. I used Mayline binding clamps that also had room for labels. But cheaper ones can be made by using thin strips of metal that fit in vertical slots at each end. The strips are inserted in the middle of the set of plans near the binding, then hung on the rack with the plans hanging down. Very efficient use of space and the plans are always easy to use.