Strange Scallop Splotches.

landrvr1

I'm getting some terrible scallop type splotches on some glass, and have not been able to figure a way to eliminate them.

splotch1scropped.jpg

This seems to be a shadow issue, as turning off receive shadows fixes the issue. When I increase the brightness of the ceiling, the problem goes away. Turning off reflections has no effect, but turning off refraction makes the problem go away.

I'm happy with the light/dark values of the scene, and don't really want to mess with increasing the lighting or material brightness.

Any suggestions? Tnx.

• 2 weeks later...

That may be so but will you ever learn why this problem occured? No. And what happens if this problem occurs again in a situation that cant be fixed in photoshop? I reckon it's better practice to fix the problems before you get out of your 3D package.

I would try firstly increase your lightcache samples to about 2000 and for your interp samples and hsph subdivs back to 50 and say 20 or 30. These two values can often create problems when they're just bumped up willy nilly.

Yeah, tried increasing the samples before and that didn't work. Dialing back the interp samps and subs also didn't work. The scallops get reduced, but are still there.

@Tommy L

Not following you here. This was a single frame render with so saved cache. What do you mean? :confused:

the easiest way...you can fix it with photo editor (ex: Photoshop) hihihi.....thats the better way than you rerender your scene......

lol. That is the easiest way. However, like many folks I need to do things the hard way. :p

Seriously, though. WAcky is correct in that I'd like to solve the problem. Plus, I do a lot of animations so cheating in Photoshop won't help me in the long term.

first of all sorry for my bad English.

there has a self illuminated object at the opposite site of that glass material. or there has a window at the opposite site of that glass material, a bright light is coming through that path. So you cant get rid of it until that light reduced...

Hmm. That's one way to eliminate the problem, but reducing the light isn't an option. I need that light to acheive the correct design.

@TommyL

No light issues. Hmm. Someone over at Chaos has responded to my post there. BRB.