School Image Requires Re-work

iaga

People I got absolutely slated by employer for the 'no character' in the images, was feeling pretty low about it since its only my third render from revit export as FBX and import into 3DS Max Design 2009 and yes people in RPC. So please guys need help in inserting 'character' into the image. I personally dont like it too.

Cheers in advance.

i see exactly where he's at.

Dont take this wrong, but there isn't really just 1 or 2 areas that need a face lift - the whole imagery needs a facelift.

your composition is bad, your colour levels are wrong, the lighting/contrast/shadowing doesn't work and is contradictory, the post work is not good, the entourage (ie, cars, birds, people etc etc) are all wrong.

I think your employer is after a more 'run of the mill' image. more the usual CG we're used to looking at. Judging by these images your artistry skills as a whole just dont yet match up to standards.

You certainly have the potential and a good starting point, you just need to develop your skills. this is only done by looking at other people's work and practising with your own. you'll improve as you go.

As for your immediate concern with these images, look at them and look where they're wrong and looking not good.

Be mindful where shadows come from, how colours and saturations work, how people should look in an image, how light and contrasts work etc etc.

You dont need to put in loads of cars/people/birds etc just to give an image 'character'. you've seriously overdone it and rushed it. that gives the opposite effect.

try rendering them again. get the plates looking as decent as possible from the renderer first before you start post work, then in post, take it easy and watch out for your smudging.

Thanks Stephen - Hard to swallow the 'reality check' pill but you're right, I've a lot to learn. Find it really difficult to work with RPC content as cant get it to work right with MR Daylighting.

As for immediate, what do u mean by getting the 'plate' right?

the 'plate' is just the raw render straight from the renderer before the post work is done.

also, i'd use real photos of people and paste them on in post instead of use RPC. RPC are pretty poor and not professional enough for a serious CG in my opinion.

People photos are easily found or bought in packages on the web, but again, special attention is needed with them when pasting them into your images if they are to look natural.