how to model a dodecahedron

pablo scapi

depends on what software you're using. I have always found that 3dsmax is a pain in the neck for modeling anything with absolute precision, so usually if I don't have plans or other reference to work with, I model within rhino; you can get extremely precise results there.

If you don't have a license for that, you can use AutoCad.... it is used by engineers, after all.

then offset by a set amount...

Sometimes you can, but sometimes you can't, depending on contractual obligations. I know it makes no difference, you know it makes no difference, but the client rarely knows their way around a 3D programme, and it's not rare for it to be insisted that all the work occurs at the co-ords. Believe me, if there was a way around it, we'd do it!

yeah who cares are long as it looks good

sooner people learn arch vis is not about 'accuracy' (unless its a verified view) the better their work and easier time they will have.

making pictures - not working drawings. first thing i do with a DWG is center it on 0.0.0 but have a snap datum and angle for when i bring in new ones.

yeah who cares are long as it looks good

sooner people learn arch vis is not about 'accuracy' (unless its a verified view) the better their work and easier time they will have.

making pictures - not working drawings. first thing i do with a DWG is center it on 0.0.0 but have a snap datum and angle for when i bring in new ones.

Well that's the point, said clients aren't in it for the "prettiness", as it were, they are meant to be pin-point accurate for the sake of planning permission. It's typically used on sensitive projects where you need to explain your methodology so as to prove that the building will be where your renders say it will be. A part of this is, sometimes, that all the work has to occur on the specific OS co-ordinates, since this is where all the data will be (point data from surveyors, OS data, even the CAD data from the architect).

• 1 year later...
Actually it's very easy with max. Create/Extended Primitives/Hedra, choose Dodec/Icos then drag the value of Q under Family Parameters up to 1.

You are a beautiful person for this simple simple method of doing something I was dreading :) thanks for being clear, concise and to the point. Perfect.