Help with night scene...

jinsley

I have been blasting away at this all weekend only to find out today the the north arrow was pointing in the wrong direction... so I am re-rendeing it now with the sunset just behind the building on the right side... hence the faint light streaks coming out from behind it.

I don't really enjoy doing night scenes, I always have trouble lighting the building properly, if anyone has anytips or tricks for they would like to share for next time please let me know.

Any other constructive c and c is welcome also!

Thx :D

I also notice that when I preview the post, the jpg gets real blurry... any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

-JI

I think if you take a look at some of the high end sites like studioamd and dbox they really make use of the interior lights making the big statement. Also I think your scene is a bit dark in general. maybe the trick is to create the dusk feel while still having the image quite light? Some of the images at dbox are quite good at this. I would suggest taking a look at their site.

There is a tutorial over at vyonyx.com about lighting an skyscraper which might be a good starting point for you.

Regarding blurry images; I think cgarchitect compresses uploads quite heavily. It might be worth uploading to imageshack instead.

the best looking 'arch vis' night shots for reference iv seen are on luxigons website.

proper dark night shots - not this weak namby pamby sunset / dusk ohh its light AND dark at the same time business dull clients always want.

might be worth a look

www.luxigon.com

images__REX_SITRA_02.jpg_420.jpgimages__a13.jpg_420.jpg

i love the luxigon images too, those buildings are also probably really simple forms (boxes) with the hard work done through the use of textures like the one attached in either a light material or self illuminated material

I agree. Namby pamby. Love, love, love the Luxigon stuff, very original feeling to it... hunting around for something a little darker right now in my photo stock... I don't know how it will go over, I have a feeling I will end up re-rendering it with the sunset...

Dave, can I "borrow" the image you posted? I don't have much like that put together in photoshop yet...

haha be careful! iv tried the 'night is black' line before and had to go back and redo it...still don't have a proper 'black night' image iv done. probably one for a personal project i reckon.

id start with the inside lights and street lights one by one (or sets of instances) then add bit of ambient skylight and fill lights last along with a good reflection map.

doesn't really matter what order you light in i find as long as you have an ordered approach to it - night scenes can get complex and slow very quickly. i often make everything shiny as well, even if its not and use specular / bump maps to help make out surfaces without them needing to be directly lit - stops it looking flat.

then do loads of post work - curves, glows, paintovers, coloured gradients overlayed, small lens star like lens flares etc

haha be careful! iv tried the 'night is black' line before and had to go back and redo it...still don't have a proper 'black night' image iv done. probably one for a personal project i reckon.

id start with the inside lights and street lights one by one (or sets of instances) then add bit of ambient skylight and fill lights last along with a good reflection map.

doesn't really matter what order you light in i find as long as you have an ordered approach to it - night scenes can get complex and slow very quickly. i often make everything shiny as well, even if its not and use specular / bump maps to help make out surfaces without them needing to be directly lit - stops it looking flat.

then do loads of post work - curves, glows, paintovers, coloured gradients overlayed, small lens star like lens flares etc

invaluable info nic... thx. reminds me also that I should really take another look at the street lighting

will use the attached image and maybe change the levels and colour tones in ps...

i tend to do night shots in passes. whole renders in HDR/EXR format - one for each type of light (interior, ambient, moonlight, street etc) and then have fun balancing the whole thing in photoshop. much more control.

often saves on rerenders when you get the inevitable feedback "can you just brighten up the...."

sure you can use it if you wish, probably only good for distant buildings though.

perhaps change it a little in photoshop (colours) just so its a little different

matt: good little tip, care to elaborate (only just looking into passes properly - specifically .exr files)

how do you render different sets of lights in different passes?

Man! I can't stop looking at that Luxigon site... amazing stuff. The architect is redesigning the facade so I have some time to really figure this out now.

I'm thinking a combo of some photometric lights on the street level with some photoshopped self-illuminating materials on a plane behind the window glazing and a smattering of PS... will start posting when I do some tests.

You guys are a smart bunch! Thx for the help. Much appreciated.