MACHINE SPEC: money no object, what would your ideal spec be?

Obviously once the 8 core machines come out, they'll be on the bleeding edge for a while; even the few 6 core CPU's I've seen are still ridiculously priced. The intel i5 and i7 processors are seeming a lot more reasonable nowadays, but due to the (still high) cost of all the supporting hardware (appropriate mobo, ram) you'll still end up spending a LOT more than if you go for one of the less expensive quad cores like the q8200. My hope is that more software companies get on board with GPU processing within the next year, but since it doesn't seem like much software is taking advantage of that YET, I would focus more on the CPU / ram combo, but still get a great video card for the sake of modeling.

ok, well as a starting point, this is kind of what i was thinking of...

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-003-OB

Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) 2.66Ghz @ 4.00GHz Max

Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Intel X58 Motherboard

Corsair 6GB DDR3 PC3-12800C8 1600MHz DDR3 Bundle

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-114-HT&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1515

HIS ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

+ appropriate power, cooling, and case.

yup, dual quad core Xeons (E5540 to be specific - best value for power; plus they support intel's new advanced hyperthreading Technology, so you'll actually have 16 buckets rendering =)) 16GB Ram (never had to use more); and a Nvidia GTX 295 Graphic card.

Thats the best value for money setup in my oppinion....mmmmm..RAW power!

#

Intel Core i7 Processor Extreme Edition I7-965 3.2GHz 8MB LGA1366 CPU

#

ZALMAN DELUXE EDITION COOLER LGA 1366

#

Asus P6T Deluxe V2 Core i7 / Intel X58/ DDR3/ CrossFireX & SLI/ A&2GbE/ ATX Motherboard

#

12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory

#

Boot Drive: G.SKILL/KINGSTON 128GB SATA II Internal Solid state disk (SSD)

#

#

Storage: Western Digital/Seagate 1TB SataII 32MB Cache 7200rpm

#

LITEON/SAMSUNG 22X DVD-RW DUAL LAYER W/LIGHTSCRIBE (PROMO ITEM)

#

nVidia GeForce GTX280 1GB DDR3 2DVI SLI PCI-EXP Video Card

#

REALTEK 8-CHANNEL DIGITAL SOUND ONBOARD

#

REALTEK DUAL 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Card (onboard)

# Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

#

THERMALTAKE 700 WATT TOUGHPOWER/PUREPOWER ATX

#

Windows 7 beta loaded - good until July 2010

Thats my machine, bought it 2 months ago for around $2500.

ASUS Z8NA-D6C (Dual LGA 1366 Intel 5500 ATX)

2 x Intel Xeon X5550 Quad 2.66GHZ(6.4GT/S) LGA1366 L2 8MB

24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

Quadro FX3800 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

--------------------------------

Should run you aboot 4K

If your really looking to spend some cash look at buying a Cray Jaguar.

• 4 weeks later...

Being a die-hard Mac guy I would get a Mac Pro:

Two 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

16GB (8x2GB)

1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s

1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s

ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB

One 18x SuperDrive

Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)

Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)

Apple Magic Mouse

Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (English) and User's Guide

AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi Card with 802.11n

Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter

AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac Pro - Auto-enroll

Total price including those twin 30" screens is $11 015. I treat myself to something like this every 2 years.

Total price including those twin 30" screens is $11 015. I treat myself to something like this every 2 years.

Wow, you spend 11 g's on a workstation every two years? I just treated myself to a Toyota 4Runner for 5 grand and Im hoping it will last until 2015.....

I need new clients.

Apple Magic Mouse

Do you get a voucher for free carpal tunnel surgery later? All mac mice are bollocks really. theyre the most uncomfortable, unergonomic and most unusable mouse for 3d stuff. Get a decent logitech high def laser mouse and save yourself the shoulder and wrist pain.

Other than that, that spec is my current workstation (although id like a better vid card - best we could get at the time was a 8300GT which is fine i guess, but its the bottleneck in my workflow.

And save yourself the money on the dual 30" screens. you'll get a headache from having to move your head all day long, and apple displays are fairly overrated for what we do. Get some good 24" led panels. Im still running dual 22" widescreens, and thats about perfect for me. Until Max allows me to detach viewports to the other monitor (can it?) i dont see the need for anything more - but thats just me.

Edited by Ky Lane

Hi,

My office just bought a new machine, it was built by some guy I don't know. Claiming it to be fast but yet it still takes 14 hours to render an evermotion scene. Here are the specs,

CPu: Intel X5450 harpertown 3.0GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 771 120W Quad-Core Processor x 2

MOBO: Intel D5400XS Skulltrail

GPU:Radeon Sapphire HD 3650

Ram : 4GB Fully buffered DIMM

We only render out still images, and we would like to render them at a higher quality but in reasonable time. We were hoping to be able to render the evermotion scenes in say a couple of hours instead we are looking at 14 hrs, which is unacceptable for the money spent. I would be greatfull if anyone could help with their views and advise.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

We only render out still images, and we would like to render them at a higher quality but in reasonable time. We were hoping to be able to render the evermotion scenes in say a couple of hours instead we are looking at 14 hrs, which is unacceptable for the money spent. I would be greatfull if anyone could help with their views and advise.

Thanks in advance.

That is a fast machine, but your RAM is way too small. Double the RAM as that could be the only hardware slowdown I see. Otherwise you will just need to reduce the complexity of your scenes as those processors are fine.

If you want low cost and high power with minimum headache get the Mac Pro. It was a full $1000 cheaper than any other supplier when I bought mine in June. I now have the best of both worlds and can boot Windows or OSX depending on what I want to do. Its the closest thing I've seen to the magic bullet since I started using computers.

That is a fast machine, but your RAM is way too small. Double the RAM as that could be the only hardware slowdown I see. Otherwise you will just need to reduce the complexity of your scenes as those processors are fine.

Run a 64bit OS too.. especially for Windows and more than 3GB ram.

I run 16 in mine, and it flies.

If you want low cost and high power with minimum headache get the Mac Pro. It was a full $1000 cheaper than any other supplier when I bought mine in June. I now have the best of both worlds and can boot Windows or OSX depending on what I want to do. Its the closest thing I've seen to the magic bullet since I started using computers.

+1