Vray RT...Sucks?

braddewald

Is it just me or...does Vray RT kind of suck. Every time I get the lighting and everything tweaked in the RT viewport just like how I want it, I hit render and bam! the light cache starts cranking out something way brighter, or way darker or something else. I love RT in theory but in practice I can't seem to get it to do me any good. I always end up adjusting it after RT to something completely different that looks good as a final render, but does not look anywhere near the same in the RT viewport. Anybody else experiencing this?

VRay RT is not GPU based !! It will be in the future, but currently it is NOT !

You have to realize though that if you want good results that are comparable with the final render, you should use QMC methods as much as possible, since that is what RT is based on. Specially Light Cache gives quite different results and even IRR Maps are different since RT does not take the inclusion of VRay Lights stored in the IRR Map into account !!

These are just the current limitations, so if you know them and live by them you can be very happy with them ;)

Edit: just wanted to add that a lot of peoples concerns are being worked on, including the above !

Edited by Trick

I get about 95% same results with RT than with the normal render engine.

- RT worls in linear mapping mode, so if you are using something else as color mapping, you will get a different result. (exponential and so on..)

- Of course, if you are working in LWF, you need to adjust your Vray RT workflow.

- Mesh lights are not supported.

- Proxies are not supported. so if you have 75 trees, casting shadows, light is going tro be different.

- Some maps are not supported. If you have a dark procedural map, but the base color under is white, output won't show the same.