image uploading?

STRAT

hi jeff, just an idea here.

being as free web space is fast becomming a premium, how about a free cgarchitect image uploader for posting our images?

is this a possibility? is there the spare bandwidth within your server to do this?

avatars and sigs could also be stored here. and an automated sequence could purge the buffer of each image after it's been there say for a month.

btw, any news on adding post counters or number of times visited counters?

keep up the stirling work Jeff, this is my most visited and used site of the day!

Yes, that would be really nice and helpful. So let me know if there is a way I can help to make this possible. We know you are a very busy man. biggrin2.gif

[ July 03, 2002, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: CHE ]

• Administrators

Hey Guys,

Well there are a couple of issues with handing out free webspace. The biggest of which is security. If I were to do this uploads would have to monitored by login, an IP check and reverse DNS lookup on your email address. I would also have to approve each person that would have access to the upload section first. None of these are a huge deal and could be easily be set up in a weekend, but the real reason that free webspace is becoming a rarity is of course the cost of storage space and bandwith. Last month we hit 32GB of bandwidth and at last check the site was consuming close to 600MB of space. Not cheap.

I would love to be able to give you guys space, and I may yet, but I am concerned about how this space would be used. Do you guys just want a place to post images and sigs for the forum, or are you looking for a spot to host your webpages or a spot to link to externally?

I can probably do the first one, but the later would require me to charge a fee. CGarchitect is able to just turn a small profit, so there is definetly no room for giveaways yet. Besides, I have too much going on to play web host too. ;)Although I'd like to be able to do this for all of the CGarchitect people.

Another idea too:

If there are enough of you I may be able to get a small deal from my webhost for you to get your own webspaces from my host at a discount. They are VERY reliable and have outstanding service. (http://www.alentus.com)Just an idea. They are very resonably prices even without a discount and bill in US$, Euros and Canadian Dollars.

Let me know yuor thoughts and I'll see what I can do. As far as forum enhancments there is a new vesion coming out soon, so hopefully they have included your wishes.

hey jeff, thanks for the reply

i thought band width may be a problem, especially at the alarming rate that CGARCHITECT is expanding in it's members!

my other regular forum i use (maxforums) rugulaly has periods of 3-4 days pluss of down time because it's member base is literally expanding so fast. (mind you, there are over 7500 ppl registered there).

about image hosting? personally i wasnt hoping for space for web pages or personal galleries, but more for litterally upoading single images for posting in the crits forums, or having minimal space for posting and storing avatars and sigs.

but as you say, if this is a problem then dont worry, i'm testing the water here. maybe in the near future, and as this site will undoubtabley get huuuuuuuger (btw, i've even told my mam and dad to get themselves down here!) who knows?