Sketchup to DVD

post_the_

Hello,

The back ground:

I create flythrough from Sketchup animation export. I export jpg "slides" at a resolution of 2048 x 1152 (16:9 ratio) and 60 frames per seconds. A few recommendation that I have read or received the forums. I know this is about double the final resolution. My next step is that I load the images into BLENDER to assemble into avi files with jpg compression. I'm still exporting the avi at the same levels as stated above. The avi looks great played through windows media player . All the lines are prefect and sharp.

The Problem:

Now when I export the avi to a DVD the final dvd looks like the matter that comes out of a dog's rear. I believe that the problem mainly is caused by the DVD program "interlacing" the image. If I'm not mistaken interlacing causes the Sketchup orblender flythrough video to have flickering and lines to be breaking into many horizontal line segments. The DVD authoring programs that I have used is Windows DVD Maker.

The request for help:

What I would like to do is give the client is a great DVD of their project that is playable in any dvd player. I would like the playback to be crisp, with no flickering on the lines, no short horizontal line segments for the diagonal lines and not blurry. Does anyone know which DVD making (authoring) program is the best (preferably below $300USD or CAD)? Do you I to have to give them a "blueray" or HD-DVD to get the better result????

I hope that someone can help with my problem.

Thanks in advance for any help that you may be able to give.

Kevin.

SketchUp version: 7.1

Blender 2.49

Operating system: vista 64 bit

Looks like no one out there creates DVD's from their Sketchup flythroughs? :confused:

If you do create DVD's could you please let me know if you have problem (as I stated in the previous post) and any solutions that you have come across.

Thanks in Advance:D

Kevin.

Kevin, I produce avi files from sketchup but never really properly author them to a DVD. One thing I noticed over the years is that obviously the higher the resolution you are able to export out at then the better then overall result. As you know a higher res means a higher time cost.

I tend to run mine out at 1080p resolution so the client can author to a HD media. Even then its never really 100% glitch free.

I tend to run mine out at 1080p resolution so the client can author to a HD media. Even then its never really 100% glitch free.

Thanks for the comment.

Do you know what your clients author with? Too many options out there to choose from and the cost veries greatly.

Thanks

Kevin.

• 4 weeks later...

I author my sketchup animations to dvd. I export a png image sequence. Compile the image sequence in quicktime and save it as a reference file. The reference quicktime movie allows me to keep my images at full resolution before i compress it to DVD. I then use Final Cut Pro to edit my animations together with titles and some higher quality still renders. Then use Compressor to export an mpeg2 file and burn the DVD with either Toast or DVD Studio Pro.

My guess to your dvd resolution problem is that you are compressing your images 3 times before you view them on dvd. To create the best looking DVD your goal is not to compress anything until the final compression to Mpeg2.

Firstly when you save the images as jpg. Jpg is a compressed image format. I have found that tiff or png will give you a higher quality image to start with.

Secondly making them an AVI with jpg compression....download quicktime instead import the images as an image sequence and save as a reference file. This is not putting all the images in a container but merely having a file that references the full res images.

Thirdly...no matter what software you use to make the dvd the video file has to be compressed to Mpeg2...this is what dvd players read.....so here is your 3rd compression.

Also, there is a possibility you are compressing your file another time before the dvd compression. Movie Maker has never given me good results at all. I would look for another video editor. I am a mac user so I know that imovie does pretty well and Final Cut pro is really good.

You could try Adobe Premier or Pinnacle...I believe they are both good ones. I am seeing alot of positive reviews for Movie Story, but have never tried it.

I know that is kind of a novel....but I hope it helps. If there is anything I can help you with, just let me know.

Edited by reevesooner
add a thought