Big glass building Tips

acjwalker

I am hoping to draw from peoples past experiences of building high rise flats which are totally fornted with glass.

This is the building we will be creating.

[broken External Link Removed]

We are going to be dropping it into a number of photos.

Now this is our first glass fronted building and I was just wondering if anyone has anytips to help us along the way.

e.g. getting the reflectings perfect, do u rough out the interior so u can see inside. Anything like that really.

Cheers Guys

Edited by Jeff Mottle

I would say model everything inside, ceiling lights, core, furniture, walls. and construct a good environment to reflect (either full 3d, or lots of 2D cards placed in right places) use a high res 360 sky map for reflections.

model the facade so each glass section is a seperate poly (allows you to use per face UVW mapping and apply a slight bulge or 'wonky gradient' to catch off center reflections - look at bercon tile map for this its perfect)

you could then break all the verts (to get elements) and apply a 'material by element' modifier with 4 or 5 slightly different bumps on them to get even more variation)

one other thing that helps is to render out a full reflect pass and comp to taste in photoshop etc. highlight glossiness on glass mat will also help, then use the spec pass to add glint/flares. also fiddle with fog to get a colored tint in the glass.

• 2 months later...