Rhino to SketchUp

Hello everybody,

Im negotiating with a new client who makes his own models and presentations. They'd like to have a backup in times of heavy workload (which apparently happens often), and that's where I come in.

Problem is that they work in Rhino and I in SketchUp. None of the plugins that I find on the net are satisfying. Worse even, they simply don't work!

What do I propose him? I Give Sketchup lessons as well, so maybe I could suggest getting them all on SU? (It's an event organiser)

Thanks for your opinions!

• 3 weeks later...

while googling for "rhino sketchup export" i found that there is an export skp plugin for rhino ( is this one of the non working plugins )

en.wiki.mcneel.com / default.aspx / McNeel / SketchUp.html

( remove the space after the anti-slash (i'm not allowed to post links yet ;)

There's several 3D imports that'll come into Sketchup found here http://sketchup.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=36217 most of which come out of Rhino. So just get them to export out of Rhino in one of those formats you can read.

Bear in mind though that Rhino works in NURBS surfaces, so an export like a 3DS will have to be converted into a poly surface (tessellated). This is often pretty messy so expect major clean up when your in Sketchup.

There's several 3D imports that'll come into Sketchup found here http://sketchup.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=36217 most of which come out of Rhino. So just get them to export out of Rhino in one of those formats you can read.

Bear in mind though that Rhino works in NURBS surfaces, so an export like a 3DS will have to be converted into a poly surface (tessellated). This is often pretty messy so expect major clean up when your in Sketchup.

+1 to the above comment...

If the scene has a lat of curvature, be ready for a nightmare of a cleanup job. A lot of the triangles' edges from surface tessellation will read as thick edges in sketchup, and make it extremely difficult to navigate through the skp file. If the scene has a lot of objects with varying degrees of curvature you might want to consider exporting various objects separately, so you can export a large group of (presumably more planar / rectilinear) objects with a low polygon count, and then separately export your curvature with a higher setting so that it doesn't lose its detail.