Fed Up with Vegas

Matt Sugden

Hi, I've been using vegas since it first came out, firstly for audio, but then as the tool set grew for video. I'm finding these days though that I am operating on the limit of what vegas is capable of. I'm often having to compartmentalize videos into sections to stop vegas from crashing, especially when dealing with thousands of tif sequences and I just dont feel like the software really cuts it anymore.

What are the alternatives? I used premier for a while about 7 years back, but I never thought it was that great, vegas always had the edge. What does everone else use?

I do a lot of tiff image sequnces and text overlays, so this would be the minimum the package would need to offer, and a straight forward interface would be good, combustion I have looked at and although it seems powerful it is also a massive headache to use.

I use a combination of AfterFX and Premier. AfterFX for post processing (sort of like Photoshop for movies) and Premier for final editing, adding music and titles etc. This workflow has worked out really well for me and I haven't yet even touched the tip of the iceberg of what AfterFX is capable of...

I use a combination of AfterFX and Premier. AfterFX for post processing (sort of like Photoshop for movies) and Premier for final editing, adding music and titles etc. This workflow has worked out really well for me and I haven't yet even touched the tip of the iceberg of what AfterFX is capable of...

yes after effects from adobe is great, so flexible, but needs a lot of learning and tutorials...

Am I right in thinking that you would use premier for compiling the animations from still sequences and doing the edits and cuts, and you would use aftereffects for pretty much everything else?

Is after effects similar to combustion? I have to say adobe's website is appauling for information or providing an overview of what these packages can do.