Apartment development - Exterior

Stan Zaslavsky

thanks justin - took a bit of time getting used to materialbyelement and multisub to ensure variation of the textures - but in the end came up ok. let's see waht the client says.

yeah unf - that is the south side of the building - so can't do much about the shadows from the balconies

cheers,

i agree with your comments - the sky is dropped in PS so i had to match it up to where the sun is positioned.

but in terms of lighting the model - i'm only using the mr sun for the overall lighting and i would like more variation of light on the facade. should i be putting in more light sources to improve the lighting?

thanks for your comments

warm up the sun colour to start with.

Personally I would let the composition dictate where the sun comes from, then adjust the sky to suit. Unless of cause your'e doing a montage.

Try and get a graduation of light across the front of the building and a graduation of dark across the side. This can be done in post for most control. This should add a bit of depth and scale to the image.

This is a quick (and ruff) photoshop adjustment, hope you dont mind

jhv

Edited by Justin Hunt

Hey Stan! since we're int he WIP section here I thought I'd give ya my const. crits. First off, things are looking nice from what I've seen of you're past work, so nice work there on some great progress :)

I might to start and take a look at linear workflows or some sort of alternate color mapping than the option your using (I'm in vray but hopefully there's something equivalent in mr). The dark areas are a bit too dark and you're losing a lot of good detail in there (*espically down by the street level which is where you generally want to draw a lot of attention).

In reality the human eye would actually see a lot more detail in those shaded areas than you've got there espically the dark side of the trees and in the window recess kinda coves - http://www.amgencorp.com/images/ArlingtonMixedUse.jpg (just a quick google image search to show an example...)

People people people - espically if the client may be a developer looking to make the real estate enticing for buyers. the more people, and the brighter the street level, the more engaging and attractive the properties seem (*in my opinion :)

I definitely agree with the gradient comments from Justin and warming things up, however his dress up is a little cyan for my taste but getting at a good point.

Always tough but adding some life to the interiors would be great. Doin this in post is sometimes easiest. One suggestion is to do it with some filtered out interior shots of restaurants or something from here blended with something besides 'normal' to retain the reflections.

About the camera angle: It's always tough to get a good lookin foreground but always well worth it. It'd be great to pan down a bit and see some more of the street life or perhaps add a foreground tree. It's lacking some depth with the way the cars and trees etc. sit on the bottom of the image. a lot of great images have foreground middle and background - one artist whom I think does this best is dylan cole + more

also might take a quick look at the camera correction modifier and get your verticals straight. I don't think this architecture is tall enough to merit a 3 point perspective, but that's just my personal opinion :)

Your'e sky gradient is great and I love how the clouds separate around the edge of the building on the top and the right accentuating and aligning with the edge of the architecture. Nice choice!

Nice work, and would love to see updates as things progress, good luck.

M-

Edited by alias_marks
inserted dylan cole link

Hey guys,

Thank you so much for the constructive comments - the client has also actually asked to brighten up the alcoves but with a different colour render - so here is an update.

i will sit down and go through all the comments - some of them will suit the client's style and some won't - but its great food for thought for me and to improve - so thanks again.

see enclosed a lighter update

I like it so far. However, I think the SUV is running too close to the edge of the image and I find it distracting. Maybe move it a little further back or tilt the camera slightly down so there's a bit of street between the wheels and the edge of the frame.

thanks for your comments justin and greg

Justin - the glass to the residential can only really reflect the sky and clouds - i've put some blinds behind the windows - but i think my reflectivity on the glass is too high and maybe transparency too low - so its not showing through accurately. anyway good things to finetune

Greg - thanks - i've learnt lots from this image. the SUV is there to cover the edge of the building - because in reality there is adjacent commercial buildings to the left and the right of this project - but the client didn't want to show them - so i thought to frame the corner with the big 4WD. i do agree that its pretty close to the edge of the image and may take too much focus - i might add some motion blur to it ...

will update soon .. thanks again for your feedback

well thats what i had before - because previously i used Arch&Des glass - and it was very dark and not really contrasting to the wood. This glass is more like thin plastic that is more translucent than transparent.

i'll try your suggestion - i do agree that they are a bit light atm.

thanks in any case

the glass behind the screens is whats really throwing me off, they dont seem to be affected by shadows or even reflecting the screens at all.

Typically glass refections are darker

What does it look like if you apply the same glass thats used for the retail?

The screen shadows also look too solid, Maybe its the sun angle, softness and the depth of the blades, but I would expect to see slits of light.

Edited by Justin Hunt