ArchiCAD to C4D & AR3 Render Elements

Hi all,

I am fairly new to this forum - been watching, just not chattin ;)

I am a dedicated Max + Vray user, but due to new ventures at work we are moving in the direction of C4D - primarily because of the exchange module that goes hand in hand with ArchiCAD.

I am finding my way around, (struggling more with the object manager and its hierarchies than anything else!!) and have been pleasantly surprised by AR.

The objective of this new set-up is to have a two way easy exchange with the archi's on ArchiCAD and as always, to up the workflow. :)

Being a Max+Vray user, I can only but compare to that.

-Can anyone tell me if there is any way to 'select by material'?

-And is there a 'vray wire colour - render element' substitute hiding somewhere? Even a psd manager plugin?

Really appreciate any input and happy rendering folks!

H :)

I'm 99% certain there is in the Object Manager - I cant check till I get home though. I don't have C4D at my new job yet :D

-And is there a 'vray wire colour - render element' substitute hiding somewhere?

I'm not sure what this means. Is it a render effect? Please elaborate and maybe we can help.

Even a psd manager plugin?

Again I'm not sure what this means. C4D reads psd files with layers as maps in any material channel. It can also render to a layered psd file.

I can recommend a free plugin made by a 3rd party guy that improves the exchange. Such as saving out multiple cameras, UVW coordinates etc. I save out by material so you dont need to sort through massive lists in Cinema4D.

http://dinnye.neobase.hu/

And if you are familiar with Vray then why not get the Vray plugin for C4D too? It works great and is always getting updated

Thanks all!

Just after posting I discovered that we can save out from archicad as material groups, so that helps loads! It would still be helpful to know how to 'select by material'... I will check it out this morning in the object manager.

Thanks for the plugin - every little helps! Its great to be able to exchange so much in a scene.

Vray plugin for C4D- my dream! Our department must earn some more cash first :) But yes, indeed the way forward...

Vray renders out separate passes, one being the wire colour - all that it is a matt render of the actual colours of the objects in the scene. Its as easy as a tick box in the render settings_render elements of Vray - and takes a matter of seconds at the end of the render. Its SO very useful for post production... :)

(psd manager relies on groups in the scene and renders them out on separate psd layers - It is a 3rd party plugin)

SO - You say C4D can render to a layered psd file... mmm - INTERESTING! please elaborate or point me in the direction - I cant find that anywhere!!!

Thanks again!

H :)

Select a material in the material manager.

Go to Function > Select Texture Tags/Objects

All objects with that material will be highlighted in the Object Manager.

-And is there a 'vray wire colour - render element' substitute hiding somewhere? Even a psd manager plugin?

Sounds like you're looking to render a diffuse pass. Go to Render > Render Settings and check the Multi-Pass box. Then click on the Multi-Pass... button to see all the passes that are available. Try selecting "Add Image Layers" to get started. Then save the multi-pass image as a PSD and you're set.

You can also render out alpha channels for virtually any object or group of objects. Select an object in the Object Manager, and go to Tags > Cinema 4D Tags > Compositing Tag. In the Object Buffer tab, you can assign the object to a specific buffer.

Also make sure you check out the new Picture Viewer (Window > Picture Viewer). You may find yourself spending less time in Photoshop.

Also, VrayforC4D is an excellent plugin which I rely on daily, but don't overlook AR3. Maxon has made some huge advances in rendering.

Finally, C4D has a comprehensive built-in help system. Go to the Help menu to browse the system. To get help on a specific parameter, right-click on the parameter and select Show Help.

Jack

Edited by jackb602