Marine Drive House

Umlungu

This is a new job that i've been doing after hours. Its a really nice house overlooking the ocean. when i got this job i found out that there was no drawings of this place... eish. So i had to measure up this place by hand and draw it up in Autocad.

I modeled it up in Autocad, and then moved it to 3ds max for the rest of the work, this is how far i am so far. still have a long way to go, especially since im new to 3ds max.

i've seen a lot of nice grass out there in the renders, could some1 post a link to a tutorial i could do, or give me help on what to do? I use to do my 3d's in Autocad, there were no fancy grass tools, only grass maps, but that looks terrible.

decent modeling job so far - how did you do those roof tiles in autocad ?

I actually did it in max, i could do it in autocad, but i already had a roof tile layout in max that i just rotated and trimmed. so the less work kind of won me over, lol.

But everything else was modeled in Autocad

These grass tutorials are great:

http://www.peterguthrie.net/blog/2009/03/vray-grass-tutorial-part-1/

http://www.peterguthrie.net/blog/2009/04/vray-grass-tutorial-part-2/

A colleage of mine did this tutorial, that refrences Peter Guthries tutorial alot, basically does a similar thing just using a slightly different method:

http://www.jamesshaw.co.nz/blog/?p=400

These grass tutorials are great:

thanks for the link, but can i just 1 question, im still new to max, i noticed that in all those tutorials they used Vray, I dont have Vray, can i do the same thing using mental ray? what should i do?

• 3 weeks later...

I stopped working on the 3d because i havent been paid for the first part of the job yet (submission drawings) that i finished a month ago, so i put it aside, but then the other day we had a meeting and he needed 3d's urgently, they want to advertise soon, anyway i rushed, there is a lot of things that i would like to tweak and change, but anyway this is what i managed to do, this is 1 of them. c&c are welcome, but dont be too hard, i know there is a lot to do to it, and this is my first 3ds max render that i have ever done. im still trying to learn.

Hi,

Looks good for a first render. There are a couple of glaring things that would improve it greatly.

The roof is too saturated. Coming out too. Just bring down the saturation on the material.

The step tops are getting too burned out. For this you can just detach the planes and make them a little darker and less saturated.

The framing plants look a little too symmetrical on all four corners.

The woman seems too big for the size of the railing.

• 1 month later...