splotchy shadows renders on high quality settings

ryandmonk

I'm fairly new (2 weeks) into using V-Ray, and sure this might have been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything in this forum.

Anyhow, I'm creating a white on white animation for a transition sequence and during one of the segments, there's a splotchy shadow that starts to build up like its some sort of viral fungus. I'm curious if there's a certain setting, checkbox, or number that can actually make this shadow look natural, smooth and pretty?

Most settings are set pretty high and I'm using only one light (VRayLight on Plane setting).

Attached is a couple screenshots with the shadow area highlighted. I also attached current settings of the V-Ray, Indirect illumination, and Settings tabs.

I'm on 32-bit 3ds max 2010 SP1 and V-Ray Adv 1.50.SP4a

Thanks!

I'm not sure because I never really use adaptive subdivision, but I would:

1) switch to adaptive DMC, 4,1 to start

and/or:

2) change the clr threshold value from 0.1 to maybe 0.01

3) change DMC samples from 8,1 to 8,4 or higher.

4) medium anim settings are probably high enough for this

Edited by DavidR

http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150SP1/tutorials_imap2.htm

The basic tutorial for this kind of work. (mabee brute force as second bounce is overkill for this kind of work, but it is not the discussion here)

This could look like a Irradiance map problem...

How many frames are you rendering for your precalc? If the camera moves slowly, 1 on 10 is enough, if it goes faster, you can go 1 on 5 or even 1 on 3.

What happens if you are rendering one of theses frames as a still, not loading any Irmap. Is the problem still there?

PLease take a look at your shadow setting, subdivision may be in low setting.

In adaptive subdivision image sampler: choose 1 as minimum and 2 as max rate, set color thresh to .01. I hope that will work.

You dont need to check object outline and sub pixel mapping from color mapping.

Irradiance map settings are pretty high. no need I think. better choose medium with the setting I mentioned.

Thanks for the help and responses!

DavidR... the switch from Adaptive Subdivision to Adaptive DMC was the trick. It worked great and the shadow looks sexy now. I'll steer away from that old method now.

Thablanch... thanks for that link! Definitely will make reference to it. To answer the question, I figured since the scene was simple and the animation was 120 frames, rendering every frame was no big deal. When rendering a still without loading the Irmap, the problem still exists.