Vray GI cleanup - tips needed

cgzilla

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a small kitchen scene and I'm having odd "shadows" all over the place. Tried getting rid of it with every trick I know. Still, walls look rather messy. Another weird thing is when I try to back the VraySun light with a basic Vray light as additional light source, I get black screen.(?) Can't say I had this experience before, but if anyone has idea what may be the cause - I'd appreciate it.

Cheers!

TKM

Guest FlaviusC

hello there mate.The "odd shadows" are called blotches and they appear there due to low values of hsph subdivisons from your Irradiance map. Increase them to 70 or so and the interpolation to around 30. I might be wrong though,but I get those kind of artifacts when using low values in the Irr Map.

The black screen is weird...I have no idea what might cause that.

increase your imap values to something like 60/20 and 0, -6

lightcache up too 1000 as well

that should clear it up

one other thing to do with your primary and secondary bounces: leave them both on 1.0 and compensate with your camera exposure and colour mapping. it can do weird stuff with lighting and is generally bad practice to have primary / secondary bounces over 1.0

Well, you are all right to some extent. Changes you proposed did manage to clear out much of the things I wanted out. Though, now I am getting a sort of shining behind certain objects. But I decided to figure out this one on my own. I will be posting final render once I'm done. Your oppinions will be greatly appreciated. And so are the advices. Thanks to you all!

Are all your objects closed, welded solids? It looks as though some of the light samples are bouncing through the wall. This can sometimes happen if your wall has no thickness. Make sure all your geometry has thickness to it.