Bottom Of Walls/cols Need Light

heni30

Hi,

I was looking for a tip or trick here to get more uniform light on vertical surfaces even though it might not be totally realistic. In this image the corner col in front has a regular vray light next to it but it I feel it is turning too dark towards the bottom. I guess I could rotate the light a bit or add another light. It seems to be a situation I run into a lot. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

George

You could try an override material and put a vray light material in the GI slot? This would keep the appearance of you current material, but the light material in the GI slot will give a general lighting to everything.

Don't animate it though without baking as it'll flicker like a madman! :D

Well wall "A" was given a second light which with some tweaking would blend right in.

Wall "B" was given a Vray Overirde Material with a Vray Light Material in the G.I. slot......and it did lighten the wall with one small glitch. I guess you could render it separately and paste it in afterwards but it might be easier to use a second light.

Thanks for your responses. It's due Friday afternoon. I'll post the final.

Well she's about done. Have to remeber to tell those lights not to

affect specular. Sign text will be brightened up. Sign REALLY is that bright.

Orange glass lit from inside.

Rendering was about 2 hours - 2400 wide on a amd quad 1.8. Does that seem

about right?

Still floundering around with settings.

Lights not affecting specular?? Generally that's a really bad thing to do as you don't get any specular glints off any of your materials, which will seriously flatten your materials and therefore your render. However if you are looking for a flatter look then maybe that's what you want?

2 hours is a bit heavy for that render, especially at that res, however I am used to pretty quick machines! Depends on your settings (can you post a grab?) and machine. If your struggling with settings I have explained some basic ones here if you're interested... http://www.jamesshaw.co.nz/blog/?p=138

yea, 2hrs seems way too long. Especially with the little detail the scene seems to have. Which renderer are u using? mental ray?

Im not sure what level of realism youre looking for. But if you are looking for realism: check your sharp edges of the walls and colums - maybe try and chamfer them a bit for a smoother edge.

Also check the reflections of your people. The people on the left dont seem to have any reflection. And the guy on the right's reflection: the column's reflection is visible on top of the guys reflection - which means in reality the guy would be translucent. true reflection wouldnt show the column where the guys reflection is. (hope this makes sense)

Here are the settings.

The Don't Affect Specular was done to avoid having lights show up

in reflections which is happening on the right side of the orange beam

and in one of the glass low walls behind the chairs. Is there another way

to do this?

Computer is low end quad core HP that I picked up on Craigs for $200. AMD Phenom 1.8 hz; 4 megs of ddr2 800. I definitely intend to upgrade in the coming weeks.

I haven't been working with vray that long (I've been doing Max for a long time) and I really am floundering around when it comes light placement. I'm just lind of winging it with a lot of trial and error. So it could be that I am not doing it that efficiently resulting in long render times. I even have light cache at 300 to save time. Luckily client is not too demanding and thinks it's just soft focus.

I'll pay closer attention to those reflections; thanks for your comments!