some dining room images

gwb90

Great work gwb!

Interior comments:

-why is the reflection so dark? Is it a mirror or a reflective semi translucent glazing?

-check your timber grain with the mirror frame. The top grain would be horisontal.

-The spot lights' burn on the floor are a bit hectic for the amount of light it actually distributes throughout the room. In this ambience, it would be WAY more subtle.

-Try add some glow on your actual light fittings too

Exterior comments:

-Everything under water would be a lot more distorted - especially with the map you chose. It looks like the water is moving quite a lot, yet everything under water is clear.

-what divides your glass balustrades? If its a butt joint, its way too dark. If its a baluster, it would prob be a bit bigger.

-concerning the background.. you would def. see some horizon unless its REAL high up in the air or sumthin ;)

But lookin good!!

Great work gwb!

Interior comments:

-why is the reflection so dark? Is it a mirror or a reflective semi translucent glazing?

-check your timber grain with the mirror frame. The top grain would be horisontal.

-The spot lights' burn on the floor are a bit hectic for the amount of light it actually distributes throughout the room. In this ambience, it would be WAY more subtle.

-Try add some glow on your actual light fittings too

Exterior comments:

-Everything under water would be a lot more distorted - especially with the map you chose. It looks like the water is moving quite a lot, yet everything under water is clear.

-what divides your glass balustrades? If its a butt joint, its way too dark. If its a baluster, it would prob be a bit bigger.

-concerning the background.. you would def. see some horizon unless its REAL high up in the air or sumthin ;)

But lookin good!!

thanks for taking time to have a look.

internals

in the first view it's just glass at the back to you can see through to outside.

i had noticed the error in grain direction

i will change the IES file used for the lights

for glow on the light fittings would you do this in VIZ or photoshop?

externals

how would i create that effect of distortion under the water?

the glass is just balustrade with and 20mm separation. i will make it 50mm

it's a theortical scene that i have created so i am struggling with what i could put in context without it looking silly. should i just model surroundings? or find a photo from the web? what would you recomend?

thanks for checking it out + i appreciate the feeback

gwb90

well, i work in 3d max design, not viz, but i understand its quite similar.

For the glowing lights - i normally apply a self illuminated material to the actual light fitting. I try to avoid as much photoshop adjustments as possible.

you can add some glare in photoshop if you like.

To make the glass to the outside more realistic, i would suggest some kind of exterior lighting (im assuming its a night scene). This will just enable you to see hints of whats happening outside, so you know what it actually is. Maybe add some curtain or blind detail? even if its drawn open. (just a suggestion - not a neccessity)

I like adding my backgrounds in photoshop. This way its easy to play with different images and see what looks best. Just save your file as a png, its easier to just insert a background without cutting with your lasso tool. Your only problem will be your glass, which will obviously not be translucent in photoshop.

Im not sure how to explain this, but ill try: you add your background in photoshop. trace the balustrades with your lasso tool. Keep this selection, but make sure you are on your BACKGROUND layer. Then copy and paste. Drag this layer to the front. So now you will have your background layer on top of your image in the exact shape of your balustrades. Then you just adjust this layer's opacity, so you see a bit of your balustrade and a bit of your background.

Thats how I would do it. there are awesum backgrounds on the web!

Im not sure how to explain this, but ill try: you add your background in photoshop. trace the balustrades with your lasso tool. Keep this selection, but make sure you are on your BACKGROUND layer. Then copy and paste. Drag this layer to the front. So now you will have your background layer on top of your image in the exact shape of your balustrades. Then you just adjust this layer's opacity, so you see a bit of your balustrade and a bit of your background.

i will save out the render as a tif, in photoshop duplicate the layer then delete the alfa channel. works a treat especially when you have transparent materials.

cheers

ok. i see you do have a bumpmap. i work with vray materials - so im not sure how similar it is, but this is my thinking:

1. increase the plane's thickness. you can use the shell modifier for this.

2. decrease your opacity a little bit. It will be a bit more blue, but thats what u want.

3. You can either try a displacement map instead of a bumpmap. It ups the render time a bit, but a lot more efficient than the bump, because it physically changes the shape of your model instead of just faking the light like a bump.

4. Instead of a displacement map, you can also try the following: turbo smooth your plane, and add a noise modifier. you can increase and decrease the effect as you see fit.

5. lastly, i dont know if standard materials have this, but vray materials have an option "affect shadows" and "reflect on backside". If you have them, make sure they are on.