Backburner Server licensing question

TSuess

We have two licenses for 3dsmax. And we are trying to utilize Backburner on 10+ nodes. On our first two machines we loaded 3dsmax x64 and entered the serial number and activation code. When we started installing max on the 10 nodes we got a error msg which said "you have reached the limit of computers for this license" We continued with the installation regardless because we understood that backburner had a limitless license.

Now our initial two machines run backburner perfectly. however, the 10 machines w/o the activation code crash when rendering. They are able to register with backburner manager but we get an error message when they are sent a frame.

so My question is... How do I configure a machine for backburner without entering an activation code. Is an activation code/serial number necessary for a machine being used as a Backburner Server?

You do not need to activate backburner nodes - only activate the machine/machines that will be used to work on.

I'm not entirely certain the backburner crash is related to licensing - you might be crashing because you're out of memory - make sure all the systems are configured properly, plugins are installed and all the same version, textures are coming from a shared network drive, etc.

you should enter 0s as the license when you're installing max on slave machines. If for some reason you ever needed to work on one of those machines you could activate the 30-day trial license and then if you wanted it to work after that you could transfer one of your regular licensese to that machine. But for network rendering just enter all 0s.