(1st post) Sydney under dust

Mucus

Hi Everyone :)

I'm glad to have found this forum as I'm trying to begin CGarchitecture (I got some CG background but mostly nothing in architecture). So as a training I take some picture on the net which interest me and try to rebuild them, so here the first one:

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/1889/final2vb.jpg

The picture was done using Lightwave and Photoshop for level adjustments (mostly blue channel) and a bit of depth of field. And this was the picture I took as reference:

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/896/sydneyref.jpg

So in my opinion the picture is over, even with some radiosity problems (the area over the Mucha's painting) and a too strong vignetting effect (which I put as a newbee in the render instead of doing it in post...). I'm satisfied with the carpet too, even if I had a really hard time trying to make it with a polygonal or displacement method, the result was too heavy or just ugly, so I go with the old texturing map. But any tips or link to help me understand how to make realistic carpet with polygonal fibers will be really appreciate!

Well then I'm done, I know that the subject is simple and far from some renders I see here and there, but I hope being able to improve some of my skills with this forum and the advertises I could find here :)

Glad to be here! :)

Christophe

PS: sorry for the copy/paste links, after 10 posts I see that it will be easier to post link

Guest FlaviusC

Hello there!

That is a very good job,especially since,I understand it is your first image for an interior render.

You've almost matched the reference pic. Your reflections are a bit blurry,the grout from your tiles is a bit big I think,and the material which you have used on the couch is too reflective and it seems to lack the leather texture. Also,I think you could increase your highlights a bit, especially in the window area..

For the rug,,I don't know about Lightwave , but look into some Hair&Fur (that's how it's called in 3ds max anyways) modifiers/shaders. I usually do the carpets with V-ray Fur.. OR,you could try to use displacement maps...

Overall,I think it's a good image,and the lightning is so warm.I would have never imagined that kind of lightning could ever be real. It's like Sydney is on Mars or something.

Keep up the good work,and keep posting.

Flavius

Thank you for reply Flavius :)

I guess I have some things to learn about reflections...for the sofa, I have this one with a "studio" lightning: http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/3234/sofastudio1.jpg (beware of the flying sofa!), not perfect but the leather texture is more present than on my picture (mostly because I don't have direct light on it, I have to learn how to do that).

But I often increase the blurry parameter as soon as I have reflection, should be a nice idea to look the render with more sharpen reflexions you're right.

On next one I'll try to put some extra lights in the windows area too, good advice!

And for the carpet, I'm not too fond with Lightwave hair and fur system (at least for this scene in which it drive me nuts), so I guess next time I'll give a try with displacement.

Anyway thank you for feedback and comment, they'll be helpfull for the next one! :)

Christophe