Strange triangulation issue.....

Kawzy

Okay, so this may be something that has been addressed because all three of the Max users in our office have had this issue on occasion, but to be honest I'm not real sure what I'd even search for so I'm just going the lazy route and posting a new thread. I have a closed spline with all vertices welded. I've checked, double checked, and yes, triple checked that it is indeed closed and that all splines are planar on the z axis. When I add either a normal modifier or an extrude modifier, the triangles of the object don't cap properly. We've had this also happen with something as simple as window mullions. Has anyone else experienced this and possibly come across a solution? I've attached two screen caps for reference.

Forgot to mention, we're using Design 2010, and this didn't really seem to be a problem in previous versions.

Edited by Kawzy

francosd: Thanks for the tip. I'll keep it in mind cause it could be what's causing some of the issues in other files. In this one however the spline was actually one created in max from tracing an image so it's all native format.

Brian: I ran the shape check utility, which by the way is a tool I knew nothing about so thanks a million for that gem. Unfortunately it kicked back that the shape was ok, and no self intersecting is occuring or anything, so the fight is still on.

Two things that I don't think are your problem.

Make sure all your verts are welded where they are supposed to be. Look for extra white verts where there shouldn't be any that indicate the start of a new spline or just turn on spline suboject and click on something and make sure that all of what you think is connected gets selected.

When I make fancy splines with lots of internal holes I get triangulation errors when verts on different holes are lined up on the same values (that is, say, both at x=2'-4"). This can be solved by just shifting one vert the smallest amount out of alignment.

I tried just now to make a similar thing to yours and see if I could get it to break the same way, but I failed. Sorry.