Draft Showreel

stee

i actually think that's really good.

some of it isn't the most photorealistic work i've seen but then it doesn't always have to be. in terms of a showreel though i think it works well.

music is good, editing is good, it works well, the camera work is really good. it kept me entertained all the way through. and it showed a variety of skills (providing you've done all of it from modeling through to rendering)

good stuff

Thats a good start. Can i ask what your target is for the reel? Is it for a job or just a way of showing what you have been up too. The whole thing flows reasonably well, some of the camera shifts are a little rough. The one that stands out is the shift from TV screen to being inside the footage. A nice idea but the transition seems a little rough. The guy at the start is cool but some of his animation curves are a little too smooth so he has no weight. Try getting a sense of weight and life in to him with secondary animation and weight transfer. At the moment he just seems to glide in to position.

I like how you have made it cohesive despite the very varied subject matter.

Thanks for your comments, it will eventually be to hopefully get a job. Im working in architecture at the moment but not in visualisation full time, where I would like to be.

I know what you mean about the TV transition. The footage on the TV is being looped so when the camera gets close to it, you can see it ends and starts again, causing an off-putting jump. I might replace the screen material with the first frame of the red bull air race scene as a still, so hopefully that 'jump' will be a little smoother. The other transition between 747 interior and the next architectural animation just kind of changes from one to the other, I may put a fade to white as the camera leaves the plane.

My character animation definitely needs work though. I was quite proud to even link the body parts together :o

Character animation is a nuanced art. Getting it right takes serious perseverance. Thats without even considering the technical set up it requires. If you haven't really done it before i would say you did a good job!

Does it have to enter the TV at the start of the plane animation. Give it a few seconds on the tv first as the camera approaches to give the eye time to adjust to the new focal point. What i would do is set up some sort of radom movie or advert on the TV. Then as the camera approaches the advert/movie would end and your plane animation would begin, so that there is no jumped loop it seems like its regular tv programming. That way the transition would flow with the new animation rather than a jarring jump. Would hopefully be less noticeable. Just tak it on to the start of your plane animation texture in a video editor. You would have to time the frames accurately to coincide, thats is the only tricky bit.

Erm i hope that makes sense.

Oh and the fade as you go out the window of the plane is a good idea.