New Resi/Office tower

Ky Lane

Thought Id offer this out for some of my friends comments :) Its coming along well, and is yet to be placed in-situ (waiting on crappy weather to do the site photoshoot).

But would love peoples comments so far :) Its still very preliminary, but any suggestions are always welcomed!

Cheers Justin. Just took about a day or two's worth of modelling changes to the entire building, so the brick and tiles are actually going altogether (although I liked the brick, shame). It was going to be broken up some in post anyway (im becoming a post whore these days - lets me play with the 21" Cintiq :D).

Thanks Tom. Yeah, I have AO on for the materials, prob just need to up the settings a bit. Im photographing all the surrounding buildings so the reflections will be there - but unsure how to treat it yet - have to do a night shot too.. so could get interesting.

Try that quick passes script from script spot. I use vray which does AO passes on the fly. A 500mm AO pass is really slow if you are using production settings so I use the a script for my big AO pass.

I'm sure there are ways to do a global AO pass like the way you suggested too. Make sure you save a seperate file when using that script as it can strip your scene of all materials if it f's up. Having matte passes is also handy for boosting AO in certain parts of the scene. I find that when I comp in a grass photo and overlay shadows, it looks like the geometry can be floating so boosting the larger AO pass on the grass can really ground the building better...

Anyhoo, something to try!

I've never tried anything between 15mm and 500mm but I find that a small one of 10-15mm can really bring out the details of things like window frames, cladding details and such...

I do quite a bit of masking with my AO passes. It's really worth the extra effort...

I'm a tight AO'er. To me, most of the modern GI engines don't handle contact shadows well. I like a tight AO to add the contact shadows back in.

I haven't explored rounded corners or edge textures as much as I should.

A 500mm AO pass is really slow if you are using production settings so I use the a script for my big AO pass.

?? ....is this Vray or MR, and how much of a slow down are we talking? Is this just within the engine, or material? ...or also with a pass done as a render element?

With MR I do it at material level, and then as an extra shader with an AO pass. With Vray I do it at the GI engne level, and as of yet, have not been doing an extra render element pass.