HELP: Most important tools/techniques for ArchViz post-production!

kwdll

Hi,

I'm learning Photoshop, on my own, to do ArchViz post-production.

So far I've watched these courses:

Lynda's Photoshop CS4 New Features

Lynda's Photoshop CS4 Getting Started

Lynda's Photoshop CS4 Essential Training

Lynda's Photoshop CS4 One-on-One: Fundamentals

Lynda's Photoshop CS4 One-on-One: Advanced

Lynda's Photoshop CS4 One-on-One: Mastery

I've gone through all of these in a really short period of time and didn't find it difficult at all. I actually really like Photoshop a lot... that sure helps! The thing is that I can't find any arch related tutorials and at this point I'm not really sure what other tutorials I should be watching... which topics! I'm sure courses like "Layers in Depth" or "Selections in Depth" are always useful, no matter what kind of work you're doing... but from an ArchViz point of view what tools/techniques should I look into? I just want to learn it the right way... avoid making mistakes like taking 3 or 4 steps to do something that could (or should!) be done with a single action. What tools/techniques should I master?

I really need some advice from the pros! :p

Thx!

and just while i'm flicking through some of my old arch viz stuff i've come across a training course outline written by escape studios and their old arch viz course has a photoshop section:

the subjects covered are

• textures from photographs (not really relevant for you)
  • lens correction
  • cropping and offsetting
  • burn and dodge
  • adjusting colours and patterns
  • colour correction (curves, levels)
  • bump maps (not relevant)
  • specular maps (not relevant)

i'm not classing myself as a pro here either so others may want to correct me but you may also want to look into

• selective colour correction using masks/mattes/channels (few threads flying around on here at the minute about that
  • multi-pass compositing (blending modes)
  • sharpening
  • lens effects (flares etc)
  • specular bloom
  • adjustment layers (keeping a non-destructive workflow)
  • colour balance
  • compositing 2d entourage elements successfully

and based on a thread i saw on here a couple of weeks ago with people talking about the number of layers they end up with during post production tasks (someone said 1000) then i'd seriously look into organizational methods

i also don't intend on patronising you, but understanding fundamental things such as bit depths etc may help you

like i say, i'm not a post-production guy myself, i just do what i need to do

so others i'm sure will add to this list or tell me i'm wrong

good luck

Edited by Dave Buckley

Thx a lot for answering Dave!

scott on stott photoshop for architects, old but good

I had heard about ScottOnStott Photoshop for Architects (Photoshop 7) but I thought it was too old and completely outdated - a waste of time (and money) in 2010... but I now see there's a new course covering Photoshop CS3 Extended! It seems great!!! A bit expensive, but will definitely be a priority!

gnomon workshop photoshop for production

(assuming you were talking about this one) It seems to be very good too... I'll check it out!

I also found these two:

3D Matte Painting and Camera Mapping

Contemporary Set Design

I don't know how relevant is Matte Painting for ArchViz post-production...

Is it just a waste of time?

there are quite a few good tutorials in past issues of 3d world magazine issue 119 rings a bell ;)http://www.3dworldmag.com/page/3dworld?entry=tutorial_files_for_3d_world1

Now that is a great tutorial! Just what I needed/wanted! Maybe not right now... but it will be very helpful! I've already downloaded the videos, but there's no sound! :confused: Lucky me...

and just while i'm flicking through some of my old arch viz stuff i've come across a training course outline written by escape studios and their old arch viz course has a photoshop section:

the subjects covered are

• textures from photographs (not really relevant for you)
  • lens correction
  • cropping and offsetting
  • burn and dodge
  • adjusting colours and patterns
  • colour correction (curves, levels)
  • bump maps (not relevant)
  • specular maps (not relevant)

i'm not classing myself as a pro here either so others may want to correct me but you may also want to look into

I didn't know about escape studios. (Shame on me!)

Too bad I'm not going with 3ds Max... still, that photoshop stuff will be very helpful!

• selective colour correction using masks/mattes/channels (few threads flying around on here at the minute about that
  • multi-pass compositing (blending modes)
  • sharpening
  • lens effects (flares etc)
  • specular bloom
  • adjustment layers (keeping a non-destructive workflow)
  • colour balance
  • compositing 2d entourage elements successfully

and based on a thread i saw on here a couple of weeks ago with people talking about the number of layers they end up with during post production tasks (someone said 1000) then i'd seriously look into organizational methods

Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to know...

*I already saw that thread. 1000! OMG!

i also don't intend on patronising you, but understanding fundamental things such as bit depths etc may help you

Sure... and I know that! That's way my next stop is Lynda's Photoshop CS4: Layers in Depth. It might be a bit boring but it's a must!

Thanks a lot for you help Dave!

If anybody else has anything to say, please do...

didn't even realise myself there was an updated scott-on-stott one so thanks.

yep the photoshop for production one was the one i have.

i'm learning all this in depth myself at the minute too.

with regards to matte painting and arch viz post production.

not too sure if its majorly relevant however check this out http://www.ronenbekerman.com/8-amazing-matte-painting-videos-by-gordon-tarpley/

that does incorporate it with arch viz

that blog also contains some good stuff about adding 2d elements to renders too