Digital Meets hand drawn

...so we've been asked by our client to work on one of the previous renderings that we've done for him to get a looser effect into the the view as his client is old school and likes something to quote "old school". Anyway, this is what we came up with, it is somewhere in the middle of digital and hand drawn. Anyway. the client like it and we got the job...

Hey Arnold

This is by far one of my favourite images from you guys. I have seen other rendering conversions from other people before but this IMO is a super super job.

Did the client request the lens flares?

Hey Arnold

This is by far one of my favourite images from you guys. I have seen other rendering conversions from other people before but this IMO is a super super job.

Did the client request the lens flares?

Thanx Koper... There was a lot of experimenting to get this but we were also thrilled with a final result..:)

Thanx Koper... There was a lot of experimenting to get this but we were also thrilled with a final result..:)

really? I honestly don't like it too much do the the harsh lines from photoshop filter to 3d photo real. I thin is needs a little more massaging before it's considered a great image. Don't get me wrong. It think it's a pretty compelling start and about 90% above some of the other npr images around the internets, but still needs some work.

some things that jump out to me personally, keeping in mind when it comes to npr it's always subjective:

1. I recognize some photoshop filters in there and I'd really work on achieving something unique here beyond them. I'm not saying filters are bad, but they should only be applied to certain parts of the image that make sense. I think you've made them too broad in this case. Make the npr style match the design characteristics of the architecture. It's a luxury kind of interior so I might go with some softer surface kind of techniques that read more smooth and less rigid kind of representing the high end polished aesthetic that is apparent in the architecture. Not some "I'm in the middle of the woods cabin like kinda rough edges hatch pattern marks."

2. the transition from npr to photoreal is too abrupt soften the posterize effect or give some more random brush pattern attention to the transitions that align with the lines you already have in the image. I think the part that bothers me is that the image has many verticals and the horizontal nature of the posteraztion lines are competing for attention and muddying the waters a bit. I might consider making everyting like the treatment you've given to the chair off to the right. I like that. Mix it up a bit.

3. The dark heavy lines form the outside are bold enough to detract me from engaging with the space on emmotional level and make me think about them as technical computer elements as opposed to inviting architecture.

4. An interesting idea might be to have the furniture elements stretch beyond the edge of the image (*esp the lower left chair) to engage a little more and break out of the conventional borders, which I think suites the npr aspect well.

anyway, those are my thoughts for now. As always, thanks for sharing your work, and don't get me wrong. It's 90% better than a lot of stuff out there, these are just some comments I think might help to make it even better.

M-

Edited by alias_marks