EPICUTOR vs PROVIZ (entourage)

just looking at the librarys online and wanted to pick up a set of the asian people from epicutor but their sets are ridiculously overpriced ($199 for 60) vs proviz (which is $26 for 25 - and if you get 3 sets, its only $78).

Anyone's got experience with both? I can't believe how much more expensive epicutor is. One's about $1.05/person while the other is $3.3/person.

If you get the proviz - extreme bundle of 300+ people its about $0.6 each.

http://shop.cgarchitect.com/textures/people/pro-viz-people-textures-xtreme-bundle.html

also, if you know of sites that have a good asian entourgae, please lemme know.

Edited by wasteland giant

epictor's ppl are anywhere from 894x2058 to 3612x5388 where proviz's ppl are between 435x1380 to 1860x3135 (from a selection of my collection.)

The cutout quality of epictor is far superior to proviz's too. I suppose it depends on what you're using it for. If you're commercial jobs then proviz will probably suffice if the entourage is far enough away from the camera but if you're doing shots where people a focal point of the image then I would go with epictor.

Perhaps you could purchase the proviz pack and then purchase one or two individual epictor images to suit your needs on a job to job basis as epictor allows you to purchase singular items.

Also I believe the lighting and general photographic quality of epictors entourage is higher also.

I've been poking at entourage lately and my impression when I first saw the ProViz stuff was "a bunch of sloppily dressed poorly comported people schlubbing around in the bright California sun." On second glance I still get that feeling. I want to help my clients present their multi-million dollar facility with those? Never seen Epictor before, but they look more usefully lit and a little less disreputable.

You may feel differently, but they are at least axes to investigate.

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

as it is a direct question regarding our products i'll try to bring some light into the subject.

as wacky pointed out, our images all are high resolution and cut out without any flaw. as you probably know, pushing the quality to the top makes the production a lot more expensive than settling with some 'halos', unclean borders or hard cut hair. the same applies to the resolution, increase the resolution and your cutout process will be more complex.

in addition we believe that the content of our images is state of the art as well. all images being sold are hand picked on pose, clothes and lighting.

it all comes down to your needs. our goal is to enable you to throw any of our images into any scene without having to worry about the cutout quality.

last but not least all our images are completely tagged. to be honest this won't help you much with small libraries, but if you have a bigger library it will seriously speed up your production process.

you simply can filter all your images by keywords, effectively giving you the power to say 'show me all images with 2 people who are moving away from me. being in the shadow'.

if you are producing high quality arch viz, alone the quality of the content and cutout will save you hours.

the keywords even have the ability to save you much more time.

the question is, if you need this kind of quality and/or if you require the ability to rely on all the images you purchased being ready to use out of the box without any compromise.

if we can be of any more help please don't hesitate.

best regards

felix

The Proviz stuff is useful for certain lighting, but they tend to be shot in very contrasty sunlight. Content that's less contrast can be more useful - if you've ever done digital photography post work, you'll know that it's better to try to add contrast to a balanced, centered histogram than remove it from one that's too end-heavy. So I think that here, you're looking at a tradeoff.

I use both collections a lot. Technically both are very good, with Epictor at slighter higher res. However, Proviz has way too many people I just can't use (men with shorts, no fashionawareness, all under heavy sunlight mostly under conditions I don't use in renderings). The epictor collections are much better in that regard and can be used (almost without an exception) at very close distance. Price is almost a non-issue if you need good people in the foreground because the alternative is shooting people yourselves...with the right clothes....lighting....camera....time....rights...I have done it a few times and the cost of one session covered the cost of all my entourage collections ;)

hi,

as it is a direct question regarding our products i'll try to bring some light into the subject.

as wacky pointed out, our images all are high resolution and cut out without any flaw. as you probably know, pushing the quality to the top makes the production a lot more expensive than settling with some 'halos', unclean borders or hard cut hair. the same applies to the resolution, increase the resolution and your cutout process will be more complex.

in addition we believe that the content of our images is state of the art as well. all images being sold are hand picked on pose, clothes and lighting.

it all comes down to your needs. our goal is to enable you to throw any of our images into any scene without having to worry about the cutout quality.

last but not least all our images are completely tagged. to be honest this won't help you much with small libraries, but if you have a bigger library it will seriously speed up your production process.

you simply can filter all your images by keywords, effectively giving you the power to say 'show me all images with 2 people who are moving away from me. being in the shadow'.

if you are producing high quality arch viz, alone the quality of the content and cutout will save you hours.

the keywords even have the ability to save you much more time.

the question is, if you need this kind of quality and/or if you require the ability to rely on all the images you purchased being ready to use out of the box without any compromise.

if we can be of any more help please don't hesitate.

best regards

felix

You guys need some black people - we have had to shoot our own because none of the libraries contain any black folk.

hi bvi,

thanks for letting us know.

we will try to produce more specific race bundles for the next release.

in any case we got about 29 'African' classified images online at the moment.

not much but maybe they'r able to help out until more are available.

thanks again and with best regards

felix