Revit To Max Workflow Help

tampac66

Hello,

I am just now getting into 3ds max and Vray and so far my workflow has been to import my revit file to FBX and import into max. Then i run a autoedge script, and a layer by material script so that i can add materials easily.

So far i have run across a couple problems.

1. MULTIMATS!!... These things drive me crazy. The layer by material script works great, except i then have like 100 multimat material layers. If anyone can help me figure out how to deal with these besides going through them 1 by 1 that would be great.

2. Materials from Revit (mental ray) show up as completely black and do not render at all in vray, they just show up black.

3. Scale. I cant seem to go the scale correct when i import. It always is way to big or way too small and my camera zoom barely moves. In the FBX import box what should i do with units to get the proper scale?

So thats what i do. I would appreciate any help to the above questions. Or if anyone has a better, more simple work flow let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Cameron

1 - Yes, materials are a pain. You may want to browse ScriptSpot, and look for something called TrackScript. In there, there is an instance same name materail. Will not get rid of the Multi-sub mats, but at least everthing with the same name will be instanced.

2- Revit works with ProMaterials, wich are not compatible at the moment with Vray. Vray reads Arch-viz materials, but no pro materials... I'm using the buildt in converter, and doing it in Vray, but as you run the instance script first, there is only a few materials to care about.

3- When it is saved from revit, the scale is ok by defaut., if you mesure.. I often use Reset Xform if I have problems with an item. I did not have any camera problems, ( I of course use Vray cameras and not the Revit cameras that were imported..)

Hope it helps

1 - Yes, materials are a pain. You may want to browse ScriptSpot, and look for something called TrackScript. In there, there is an instance same name materail. Will not get rid of the Multi-sub mats, but at least everthing with the same name will be instanced.

2- Revit works with ProMaterials, wich are not compatible at the moment with Vray. Vray reads Arch-viz materials, but no pro materials... I'm using the buildt in converter, and doing it in Vray, but as you run the instance script first, there is only a few materials to care about.

)

Hope it helps

When you say it will instance the same material, do you mean that if, for example, i change "wood 1," then it will change all the wood 1's in all the mutli mats as well automatically?

Also, can you explain the vray material converter? Id live to have something like that. Even if they dont look great, id rather see something besides a black render when i test.

When you say it will instance the same material, do you mean that if, for example, i change "wood 1," then it will change all the wood 1's in all the mutli mats as well automatically?

Yep, will replace the same names.. so work on wood1, hit the button, if there is 16 wood1, they will all become instances off the active one, the one you just worked on.

Also, can you explain the vray material converter? Id live to have something like that. Even if they dont look great, id rather see something besides a black render when i test.

2 ways - 3dsMax right-click menu, Vray scene converter...

or

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/material-converter-v0-98b

A material converter, so no direct conversion, but at least converts every unknown material (ProMaterials) to standard or vray.. will be generic gray, but at least it is not black incompatible MR ProMaterials