Any reccomendations for adding Z-Depth to Animations in Post

Matt Sugden

Currently I compile my animations in Vegas, and I'm getting a bit fed up with it. It runs out of memory frequently and the feature set it getting a bit long in the tooth. One of the things I'd like to start experimenting more with is rendering in passes and compositing animations in components and a key aspect of this would be getting some focal depth done in post. I've seen it done in combustion, what other packages are good at this? Can premiere do it?

Cheers

The guy that does our post production and compositing is using Adobe After Effects and the normal Z-Depth pass rendered out from 3DS Max. But I'm sure there are other packages that are able to use a Z-Depth pass in order to do some blur.

Ive used dof pro for animation before. DofPRO has a batch feature, done in PS and then import the frames to AE. It worked well, but they were only short animations. Maybe 3-5 seconds. I perfer the highlight controls in DOFpro over the standard lens effect in AE. But yes, AE has DOF controls in the Lens effects tab. Its best used in conjunction with a z-depth pass.