Social Housing - need some fresh eyes

jinsley

I have been rushing my way through this project over the last 2 days while trying to juggle some other odd jobs and I wouldn't mind some feedback and crits.

I want this job to be the best it can so if anyone has any ideas as to how to improve it, feel free to post an opinion or 2...

the camera has to remain as is as per the architects instructions...

so far on my list I have:

1. more entourage, some kids playing in the play area to the left.

2. not too sure about the sky, might change that out for something different

3. maybe a few cars in the lot, or some entourage closer to the camera to give it a little more fore-ground...

Thx in advance and have a great weekend!

-JI

Hi,

The glaring shortcoming of this rendering is that the camera is so far back and there's this sea of empty asphalt in the foreground.

Why not have this view to please the architect and then just render a separate blow-up of the entry/playground area? Nothing changes - you just have a separate enlargement of the part that is most important. I suggest this to clients for a modest additional fee (you're rendering the same exact thing; just at a higher res) and they usually go for it. That's the beauty of a computer rendering that you can present different views with the same model.

A great render indeed.

i would add some kids playing too

the sky is fine just the way it is

I wouldn't add cars in the parking, the view will be blocked.

(what? no one uses bicycles anymore?)

bikes are a great idea. Hopefully Steveston is sunny tomorrow and I will go snap some photos... I might have some from a recent trip down to Seattle...

Hi,

The glaring shortcoming of this rendering is that the camera is so far back and there's this sea of empty asphalt in the foreground.

Why not have this view to please the architect and then just render a separate blow-up of the entry/playground area? Nothing changes - you just have a separate enlargement of the part that is most important. I suggest this to clients for a modest additional fee (you're rendering the same exact thing; just at a higher res) and they usually go for it. That's the beauty of a computer rendering that you can present different views with the same model.

I agree with you about the awkwardness of the foreground... I plan on improving the foreground as much as possible with some entourage or other elements... aka cheesecake.

unfortunately there is not a lot of flexibility as far as changing what is being asked for. I work in an office with the architects who employ me... this is the exact view the project architect wants as we have gone over it and tried many angles over the last day or two. The final dimensions of the image are 6 ft. wide by ??? high so there is no need for enlargement... there are definitely no fees left for any additional renders. As far as I know, we are already over-budget by spending two days on it.

I will probably come back to it eventually and try something a little more dynamic looking from the right hand side of this render, on the lawn, down towards the playground.

Thx for the suggestions guys! I really appreciate it.

the scale of the 2 tress framing the shot are causing the building to look like a model. Try scaling the trees down 30-40 percent and see how the shot feels.

They are Cedars that are existing... I will re-check them, but the arborist report says something like 90 ft for the height... maybe I will re-scale them anyways.

Would definitely fill the parking lot with cars/people. Hey James, how did you do your asphalt? I always struggle with parking lots. Did you photshop it in after render?

Adding cars and people now...

asphalt is done in max using a few different maps in the diffuse slot with different blending and oppacities abd a few noise maps at different scales in the bump and then I overlay some grunge maps and mask some of it off.

looks good....

is that vegetation above the green part? or a tree in the background?

clearing that away might accentuate the massing of the building..

also, I copied the pic and pasted it into irfanview and sharpened it twice and it looked better IMO...

First great job.

Main thing that jumped out to me was the playground stuff. They look like the contrast is off to the scene, maybe its just me but they seem to have such a high hue of color and very bright compared to everything else so it stood out as fake.

Same with the sand, especially on the far left, it looks like straight yellow plane with no variation especially in height, sand would def have some variation

Or is it suppose to be gravel/concrete?

First great job.

Main thing that jumped out to me was the playground stuff. They look like the contrast is off to the scene, maybe its just me but they seem to have such a high hue of color and very bright compared to everything else so it stood out as fake.

Same with the sand, especially on the far left, it looks like straight yellow plane with no variation especially in height, sand would def have some variation

Will check it out... I am actually doing one more version right now to print for the office to display. Should be done soon...

First great job.

playground equipment is extremely bright and glossy plastic... I tried to tone it down a little. The play area surface is a manufactured product, it is rubber pellets somehow all molded together...

you may have out thought yourself on the ashpalt.. IMO those are some serious skid marks especially for a parking lot.

toned down the wheel paths...

I also had to paint over the lower section of the green area to correct the glazing... the elevations I was working off of were wrong it turns out.

This is the final print for the office... I have no more time for it.

Thx all!

-JI