Vray render textures are getting dark

Ruurd

Hi,

Currently I am working on a Relastate project of a Austrian house which is constructed partly out of wood.

I am using alot of textures to bring variety in the overal texture, so far so good! Than I noticed my textures are getting darker and darker, so first I thought it was a light isseu but after a while putting more textures in the scene it was getting worse so after a while I tried to solve the problem without result I started to pull out my last remaining hairs on my head of frustration.

The bodemline is, when I use the same texture over and over again on different objects than the objects which are using the texture are getting darker and darker and eventually they are pitch black. So I made a test in 3Dsmax which is illustrateds it.

All rendered with 733kb Diffuse, Reflection and bump texture, 1 Vray light strenght 1, GI, Skylight (GI) strenght 1

1. 1 sphere rendered

2. 50 spheres rendered - Slightly darker

3. 100 spheres rendered - Vray light strenght 10

Help is much appreciated

As requested I uploaded the scene, we you multiple it by 200 you will see it happen.

Thanks for looking at it, I would love to know what is causing this

Sorry for the slow reaction, I was occupied.

Well I've made over 5000 duplicates of the sphere and the original sphere remains as light as it did originally.

Of course, the other spheres get darker because they're further away from the light source.

If you want to stop this happening check "no decay" on your light source and turn it back down to 1.

I did as you told me but for me there is no difference, I am usinng 3Dsmax 2010 and Vray 1.50 SP3a. If you dont have the same problem than it must be a local problem. I already considering to reinstall my PC.

Ill let you know if it made a difference

Thanks for looking at it, much appreciated!

I'm using exactly the same setup. I find it hard to believe that it could be a software issue. You're saying that if you keep the camera on the sphere closest to the light source, it darkens as more duplicates are used?

• 3 weeks later...

I thought it was some kind of weird software problem so I even reinstalled my PC (which was necessary anyway) and reinstalled max and vray. It did not solve the problem but than I discovered something weird. I only have it when I copy objects! When I use scatter on a small plane with 200 teapots than it stays perfect but when I copy it for 200 times its pitch dark!?

It still doesnt give me a clear answer to my problem but it has something to do with shift - drag - copy x amount. Same story with array, than is also gets dark but not with scatter!:confused::confused::confused:

Ruurd