Ofice Newbie seeks Advice about Compatibility in Different Versions of Max & Vray

Hi Guys, I have been working with 3DS Max and Vray for a number of years but only using 1 computer in my workplace. I recently came to another company that several people are using both Max & Vray.

The computer that I am using is a fairly basic laptop with windows vista ultimate (32) max 2009 and vray 1.5 SP2 with Solid Rocks 0.85a also.

Now I have been creating reasonably simple arch viz scenes and then passing

them on to another guy in the office who is using a swishy i7 920 so that he can render much faster images than me. However, he is using max 2009 (64) on windows XP (64), the same version of Vray except a 64 bit version.

What I don't understand (Which is where you guys could help) is why when I pass a file onto him it DOESN'T render using his 8 cores? it renders using 2 like it does on my laptop. All the files he creates uses 8 cores for pre-processing & rendering.

I have tried re-saving the file on his computer and re-rendering. But with no joy. The only way I can get it rendering with 8 cores is if I open his Solid Rocks and render it. Then all 8 cores work but of course the settings in Solid Rocks alters my Vray settings and that it pointless.

Is there something simple I should be doing? is there some thing I need to click on to get my 32 bit max file to render on all cores on the 64 max version. I have looked on the net and found nothing to help. Any advice would be so helpful... it's driving me crazy.

many thanks in advance

Christian