Living Room WIP

robbybobson

My first post!

An old project that I recently came back to. My old living room in a Victorian house where I used to live. I did the modelling mostly in autocad with a little in 3ds max. Rendered with Max/mental ray. One shot is day and one is night with photometric lights. I am still pretty much a beginner at max and have been self taught at 3D Viz generally whilst working as an architectural technician over the years. Recently became unemployed so started trying to improve my max skills.

Any tips on improving the images from you season pro's? I am working on a dual core 2ghz laptop so don't have lots of processing power to throw at it. The night shot took about 5 hours to render.

I am basically wondering what I need to do to make the image more photo-realistic. The modelling is ok I think but the lighting/texturing needs a lot of work. Should I add some surface displacement to the walls to try and alleviate the flatness of the image?

Thanks in advance.

well - surface displacement on walls ... if you don't go for deep bricks or stone walls you should avoid that when ever you can. Light in the night scene seems to be generated by icecubes. Put some atmospher light in it, get rid of this bump wet effect on the floor and control your material reflection in the day scene and night scene and try to play with the camera angle putting some bumo map on the walls by controling that one of the white wooden parts... and than look at it again to make it more real. RK

Have you done any post work on these images? I would suggest taking these images in Photoshop now and maybe making them slightly brighter, adding a little contrast... a 5 hour render time is, well a long time,i think you can make these images look really good with some photoshop work without having to render again.

overall, very good modeling and choice of materials.

Thanks for the replies guys,

I agree about the flooring, I have altered the glossiness and bump settings. I have also set the walls to ambient occlusion and added a slight bump to them. Not sure what settings to use with the AO so will have mess around with it for a while. There was no post done on the images either so I could look at that.

Will put up the results when I get a chance,

Cheers,

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

In the end I tried re-rendering the scene in vray instead of mental ray. First time using vray so took a while to figure out some of the settings. See attached image for how it currently stands. Looks a little overexposed in the right hand side of the image and the sofa material needs some work as does the glass on the coffee table. Overall I am much happier with the vray results though. Pleased I finally had a try at using it.

Comments welcome.

• 2 weeks later...