How can I improve this image?

danb4026

95% of my work is interiors. Part of my current project includes 2 terraces that include landscaping, not my forte. I do not have license to make design changes, just to make the design look as nice as possible on paper.

As of now, I have 56 layers in photoshop to get where this image is as you see it. I feel the image is "flat" and boring.

What can I do in PS to add drama and interest to this image, but still keeping the focus on the overall design and look of the terrace?

Thanks for any and all advise.

Yeah Tom, I am pretty commited at this point. Because of time, I framed it in such a way as to avoid having to model anything not fundamental to the render.

Nonetheless, What angle would you suggest?

Edited by danb4026

the problem than is that the camera angle make it look like something in a play box. I agree to Thommy that how much ever layers u have you should work with not more than 3 or 4. Also letting come the light from center above doesn't help to get depth. Well I tried a short correction ...no layers. RK

the problem than is that the camera angle make it look like something in a play box. I agree to Thommy that how much ever layers u have you should work with not more than 3 or 4. Also letting come the light from center above doesn't help to get depth. Well I tried a short correction ...no layers. RK

Well thats not really what I meant. I just assumed the PS work was extensive, therefore going changing the camera angle would be counter-productive.

I agree. people add life. You could also try reducing the saturation of the browns at the decking, also the grass has a astro turf look. cold.

Nice model.

You select those individual colors by using the wand and then select similar from the drop down menu. Might have to play with the tolerance.

Thanks for all the advice. I added some people, did some color adjustments and came up with this so far.

D T B: I have not cropped the image yet. Going to wait till the end to crop and frame it. You will not be seeing above the tan stone work. The building is 66 stories and this terrace is only on the 3rd story.

And I have way too many layers at this point to change the camera angle, so I have to work with what I have.

I should have used more of an angle with the sunlight. Originally I used a photo as a reference material for the facade and it had shadowing based on the sun being directly above. As I continued to work and changed the facade, I neglected to change the sunlight. Now I am stuck with it.

I added the orignal base render below as a base reference.

Edited by danb4026
add

IMO, whatever you do in PS, this image will be always flat and somehowboring. You need 3 vital steps to improve it dramaticaly.

1. change camera angle - wide lense, lower and closer to the right hand side

2. change the light direction. This is vital! You don't have shadows. Shadows are the most important if you want to feel the volumes and depth. Some part of the terrace should be in shadow.

3. PS work - highlights warm, shadows cold. In some cases ZDepth channel also helps.

But at the end this is just my personal opinion.

Sincerely,

How does having a wider angle lens improve an image? Is there a difference between having the camera further away using a standard lens and having the camera closer and using a wider angle?

I am going to break down and try to incorporate all the advice thus far. Good riddens to all my photoshop work.

How does having a wider angle lens improve an image? Is there a difference between having the camera further away using a standard lens and having the camera closer and using a wider angle?

I am going to break down and try to incorporate all the advice thus far. Good riddens to all my photoshop work.

A wider lens, in this case, will enable a fore, middle and background. This will give depth. Your perspective lines will be more acute, which tends to lend more drama to a composition. For this to work you should also try moving the camera to a more human perspective.

OK, I understand.

The grasses in the foreground are quite high, so I have to have a camera angle high enough to peer over them and show as much as the terrace as possible. That's why I have not gone lower with the camera.

I am going to change the sun and camera angle and repost a prelim render.

Infinitely better. First angle looks like the client chose it ;)

You can get much nicer details in the closer shot as well. The planting reads much better.

And I think you chose the sun angle well, you see the dappled light and parasol shadow to give visual clues as to where the light source is. Other option would be left-to-right, but you'd leave the whole of the left wall (with the screen on) in shadow.

Edited by Tommy L

you need to work on elliminating the tiling of the textures especially on the beige back walls. maybe add some very subtle glossy reflection on it since it dominates the view. the grass patch needs displacement or scattered proxies. or ho out and take a picture of grass and paste it in.

if you had the time you should add people but chande the mood to twilight and add artificial light and candles (no direct sun) so it looks more inviting and drammatic. that screen would make more sense and it would hide the imperfections.