PS CS5 - sneak peek - 'content-aware fill'

• 3 weeks later...

I'm suspicious of the usefulness of the tool as a detail eraser.

The areas erased look too obvious on reduced sized web video. And they tend to move the camera quickly soon after performing the "miracle." "Watch me erase THIS and THIS and THIS [swoop pan and zoom] Wasn't that cool?!" "I'm not so sure. Let me actually look at it."

agreed. It looks like it will do the initial bulk of the cloning operation but the person's arm was awfully blurry after the fix-up which leads me to believe that there will have to be a indeterminite amount of touch up work afterwards.

Still, should be interesting to see how it fits into a real-world situation

+1 on the skeptical of how great this tool will be. I am sure it will have many uses, but keep in mind, this is a demo supplied by the developer. In other words, it is marketing material so you will buy there product.

I remember a could of years ago they were previewing some tool that allowed you to clone and perspective match buildings into new forms. I can't remember exactly what it was, but my boss at the time was excited because he thought it would revolutionise what we were doing. I don't think I have ever actually used that tool in production.

That said, I really hope this tool works. I could use tools like this. But, I will always be skeptical of something until I actually see it in front of me, in a real working environment.