Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Importance of Post Post Production

Name
    Ernesto Pacheco
    Forum Username
    CHE

United States

Default Importance of Post Production

I just want to run a small survey to see what people think about post production. How important is it for you as a professional architectural illustrator? Do you think that the use of post production is a common practice in our business? Are there any people providing their clients with final renderings straight out of the rendering package? Feel free to post examples (before and afters). I will really appreciate your insight into this matter.

Thanks,
    Ernesto
    Last edited by CHE; March 24th, 2010 at 07:44 AM.

Name
    Nicolas Bischoff (www.burn.co.za)
    Forum Username
    BVI

South Africa

Default Re: Importance of Post Production

Quote Originally Posted by CHE View Post
    I just want to run a small survey to see what people think about post production. How important is it for you as a professional architectural illustrator? Do you think that the use of post production is a common practice in our business? Are there any people providing their clients with final renderings straight out of the rendering package? Feel free to post examples (before and afters). I will really appreciate your insight into this matter.

Thanks,
    Ernesto

Hi Ernesto - We tend to try and get as much of the modelling done "in-camera" - which includes planting etc. It cuts down on the time to do changes etc. We don't render the sky in, and drop it in afterwards. People and other billboards are done in post and then the image is tweaked, colour corrected and then presented. We spend about 25% of the total time for a project in post (but not necessarily applying effects) just making sure the image is as prefect as possible.

Name
    ron lloyd
    Forum Username
    ronll

United States

Default Re: Importance of Post Post Production

I would rather use less post, but my clients always seem to want more. To me the more post, or entourage there is, the "messier" the image is. Typically architectural photographers try to get people out of a scene, but architectural imaging clients seem to want crowds. It is also the "entourage" in an image that usually looks the least real, especially if overdone. I could also work a lot cheaper with less post.

An example of minimal post; one person, one tree, small groundcover.
    http://www.ronlloyd.com/folio14a.htm
    Last edited by ronll; March 24th, 2010 at 08:46 AM.

Name
    erick gustafson
    Forum Username
    erickdt

United_States

I think post is a crucial step towards taking an image to the next level. I don't do much Photoshopping in elements trying instead to accomplish as much as possible in terms of image content within the 3D package. I do however do extensive color and levels tweaking as well as adding procedural type effects (glows, noise, etc.). As much as I can, I try to automate the process by developing a series of actions that make these tweaks in a uniform manor from image to image.

E
    Attached Images
    Last edited by erickdt; March 24th, 2010 at 10:38 AM.

Name
    Curtis Walker
    Forum Username
    CJI

United Kingdom

I too try to make the base render work as hard as it can for me to limit the amount of unique work necessary in post so updates to multiple images is a little more straight forward. Saying that i agree with Erick that post work is a crucial step, and i think you will find that most do extensive colour work and some effects work also.

Name
    Tom Livings
    Forum Username
    Tommy L

United States

I use lots of post. DOF and Motion Blur are frequently too slow to render so are post processes, especially in animation. Not to mention the greater control post prod provides.
    Color balancing, levels/curves changes, people, skies, grass (in stills), NPR techniques, the list is huge. I think I do more in post, but it takes less time, does that make sense?
    My company website: www.INFXstudio.com
    My vimeo: https://vimeo.com/user2755358/videos

Name
    Travis Schmiesing
    Forum Username
    Crazy Homeless Guy

If you are not using post, then you are missing a vital step in the process.

I agree with Arnold. 25-30 percent of the time should be in post. Not only are you adding elements that bring the image to life, and give special character, as well as color grading, but many things can be done faster in post.

Even if you only do color grading adjustments in post, it is going to help.

The part that slows you down is if the view changes, or if their are many views of the same space. This is why it is so important to have the views selected before you begin on a project. That way you can focus energy in both post, and 3d at the same time to get the best product int he end.

Name
    Gilbert Leon
    Forum Username
    anejo

United States

Having a lot of time constraints with clients, post work has become a very important for me. And with the advances in PS, i've been able to spend even less time doing post work now and getting the product to the client sooner.

Do I think "post production is a common practice in our business?" - Yes i would think it is.
    Attached Images

Name
    tristan basco
    Forum Username
    carlotristan3d

Canada

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    I would rather use less post, but my clients always seem to want more. To me the more post, or entourage there is, the "messier" the image is. Typically architectural photographers try to get people out of a scene, but architectural imaging clients seem to want crowds. It is also the "entourage" in an image that usually looks the least real, especially if overdone. I could also work a lot cheaper with less post.

An example of minimal post; one person, one tree, small groundcover.
    http://www.ronlloyd.com/folio14a.htm
    looks like the sample image could use more post, LOL. IMHO post is what separates the artist from the technician.

Name
    ron lloyd
    Forum Username
    ronll

United States

Quote Originally Posted by carlotristan3d View Post
    IMHO post is what separates the artist from the technician.
    Then I guess all photographers are just technicians.

IMHO, post is what covers up for bad artists.

In hod rod circles they have a saying, "If it don't go, chrome it." And in my architecture days, a similar saying was, "If it's bad design, cover it with growies (landscape)".
    Last edited by ronll; March 24th, 2010 at 10:47 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information