3ds Max Design 2011 announced

kenpimentel

What is wrong with that statement? It looks correct to me.

The problem with the statement was that it should have been made when Autodesk split the product line into two flavors. You have any idea the time you could have saved us???? all the thread posting on which one to choose.....and it would have avoided the autodesk bashing for spliting the product and making us choose! :D

Until May 1st, 2010, any customer in the world with 3ds Max 2011 can cross-grade to 3ds Max Design 2011 for zero dollars (excluding any shipping/handling costs). After May 1st, 2010, the cost of cross-grading will become 10% of the SRP of the software

Does anyone know what the new mentalray2011 features are?

Looking forward to a package to arrive :)

jhv

Seriously, the MR upgrades are the thing I look forward to most!!

That said, a node-based material editor does sound nice. It'll also be interesting to know how well the compositor works. I always assumed the ones bundled in with 3d software couldn't ever be as good as standalone node-based compositors, but I have a friend who uses the Xsi one religiously and he really knows what he's doing, so let's hope Autodesk can prove me wrong!

(Note, I've never used Toxic)

I thought there wouldn't be much differences featurewise between the 2 Max flavours, but the privileges seem to take different roads: Exposure Daylight Analysis, Civil Viz Extension. This may not seem a big deal...yet, but for freelancers doing both Game, Development and Architecture, I really wonder how this will end.

I thought there wouldn't be much differences featurewise between the 2 Max flavours, but the privileges seem to take different roads: Exposure Daylight Analysis, Civil Viz Extension. This may not seem a big deal...yet, but for freelancers doing both Game, Development and Architecture, I really wonder how this will end.

absolutely!! this was a non sense to split Max since they could have push Maya for game and movies and architecture is not a market that will last forever, we all are doing other stuff to complete our revenues...

The key word is "yet". The fear is of the future, not what exists and has existed for 3 releases now. If you don't need the SDK, then use 3ds Max Design.

Just what I was thinking but which one on a tight budget?

Well now that they're finally adding a GPU renderer, that question is a bit more complicated isn't it - a gamer card for Direct3D and GPU rendering. From Ken's page, it can be nVidia or ATi (so maybe it uses OpenCL?...) and can be a consumer card (but the pro cards will get priority for getting certified, for whatever that's worth) but I think it's going to take a while before any benchmarks become widely available.

Maybe we just need to do our own benchmarks... "CGArchitect: We get kicked out of computer stores so you don't have to!" :)

Well, with Quick silver you still have to wait for calculation before you see anything and with vrayRT you see the changes take effect instantaneously

but for now I don't care about these little battles going on, MAX 2011 IS OUT!!:D and we should be talking about the the cool new features. This release probably is the first one that I really can't wait to use, going in and digging around seeing what max can do for me.

I'll probably dive into the painting features first -- Holding thumbs for if it is possible to double paint two textures (texture and texture bump) at the same time! Ken??

but for now I don't care about these little battles going on, MAX 2011 IS OUT!!:D and we should be talking about the the cool new features. This release probably is the first one that I really can't wait to use, going in and digging around seeing what max can do for me.

I'll probably dive into the painting features first -- Holding thumbs for if it is possible to double paint two textures (texture and texture bump) at the same time! Ken??

Glad you're so excited! Unfortunately, the workflow is single texture at this time...