Interior Photo-Match

braddewald

I found this interior on google images and decided to try and do a photo-match in my down-time. I started to prop the scene with the same objects in the photo, but some seemed too weird for me to have in an image I might use in a portfolio, so I changed a few things and decided not to go for a perfect match. There's still a lot of stuff missing but, this is the first hi-res test render that I whipped up, so I'm looking for some good C&C. Thanks!

3ds Max + VRay, models by evermotion

Edited by braddewald

looks great to me .. well done!

the only comment i can see is - the pane of glass that separates the greenery from the kitchen seems to be made up of a number of panels in the photo and you've made it out of a single panel. but its hard to make out whether its the case in the photo.

congrats overall

Really well done, you've captured the ambiance nicely.

Your render is a lot more grainy than the scene and I think you could back off a touch on the glossies on the floor boards. You could try to get a bit more reflection off the white cupboards and glossies off the plants.

Are you going to make the "log seat" ?

This is going to be very cool.

Ya, I've definitely still got a ways to go on this one. I think that I need to start focusing more on the materials than on the lighting and ambiance. No, I don't think I'm going to do the log seats, lol. They seem kind of hokey. I'm also trying to figure out a way to get those reflections in the glossy white cabinets but I'm having trouble getting a good reflection on them because it looks like it just blows out the whole cabinet with the light reflections. Any suggestions?

I've seen some great stuff done using exponential workflows but I've never been able to achieve it myself so I'm probably the wrong guy to ask in that regard. I've been working with linear mapping for years now. I can tell you that whether linear or exp having a lot of plane lights in windows etc has always dulled my reflections. Perhaps it's worth experimenting with switching off a few plane lights in that area (near the cupboards) too see whether it makes a difference. I always found that using plane lights in windows upped my render times significantly (stands to reason given the extra subdivs) and made the render more grainy.

Just my observations, anyone feel free to set me straight if I'm wrong.

I've been trying to redo the floor and it still needs some tweaking. There is obviously some mapping and geometry issues around the scene which I'm taking care of right now. My question is what this noise in my test render is? I was thinking it was just the subdivisions on the glossy reflection, but there isn't any noise in the large glossy reflection on the left. Is it just because this spot is closer to the camera? Any general C&C is also always welcome.

Here's an update, I'm getting closer to a finished piece but still have some things to sort out. I decided that I wanted the image to be able to stand on its own for use in a portfolio. For that reason, I changed the floor up because, while accurate, a perfectly even reflection like the one in the reference photo just wasn't ringing true in the image for some reason. It'd be great to get some feedback.