How to scatter MR proxies

Ky Lane

look up scatter modifier ... i was a newbie at it too .. but it didnt take too long to work out ..

you need to have an area over which you are scattering the proxy

the only thing that i couldnt quite work out was the variation in colours once the proxies were scattered

Scatter modifier?

The compound scatter is greyed out, so cant use that.

Feel free to elaborate :)

Unsure, from everything Ive read, the standard max scatter compound object doesnt work on proxies. i used a scatter script from here - http://www.max3dstuff.com/max4/scatter/help.html - its fantstic. Its a bit clunky, in that you cant change values after you've applied it (just undo and try again) but it works really nicely.

I got about 3500 proxies in my tropical garden beds rendering out at about a minute per 800x600 frame using about 1.7gb of memory - so Im happy with that!

Edited by Ky Lane

FWIW the new object paint in Max Design 2011 works with proxies :)

It does everything you are looking for. You can scatter proxies, you can scatter multiple different proxies, you can even adjust values after you've scattered/painted your proxies before committing to the final solution.

Only a few more days/maybe a week to wait i hope

You also can use our plugin Forest Pack. It works with Mental Ray and VRay, scattering proxies, meshes (with same performance than proxies) and billboards.

The free version, Forest Pack Lite, is available at our website (i can't post links, but search Itoo Software - Forest Pack at Google).

Forest Pack Pro can be purchased in the shop of CGArchitect as well.

You also can use our plugin Forest Pack. It works with Mental Ray and VRay, scattering proxies, meshes (with same performance than proxies) and billboards.

The free version, Forest Pack Lite, is available at our website (i can't post links, but search Itoo Software - Forest Pack at Google).

Forest Pack Pro can be purchased in the shop of CGArchitect as well.

Thanks Carlos - it looks very interesting!

I know I knew the name before, I had great interest in your Color Edge map, but sadly it doesnt work for MR :(

Thanks Carlos - it looks very interesting!

I know I knew the name before, I had great interest in your Color Edge map, but sadly it doesnt work for MR :(

Yes, i know this issue. We want to rewrite Color Edge and make it compatible with MR, but unfortunately our current projects take up all of our available time. :(

• 1 month later...