Large House render

working on a new project and really would like input to improve my materials

the architect is undecided on the colours - they just want a kind of a brown theme - so see enclosed current stage

max2010, mr, no post

i'm keen to try out something new - so what would you do differently?

thanks in advance

The materials definitely need some work. Do you know what the exterior wall material is supposed to be? If it is just paint, it probably has some kind of bump to it, adding one would improve the image a lot, IMO. Same goes for the concrete. The plants could use some better materials as well, at the moment they appear a little flat and bright. I'm no master at mental ray, though, so that's kind of the limit of suggestions I could provide. The image definitely benefited from the post work, though. Great job overall.

thanks for your input Brad and Matt.

Brad - re roof texture - its actually modelled using a script - so its not a texture with a blur if thats what you were thinking about. i'll look into the brightness/reflectivity of the tiles - might need adjustment

Matt - good idea re bump map for reflections in the windows ... not sure about swinging the sun around - then the facade of the building will be in total shadow?

which part are you talking about "new concrete is really pretty bright" - is that the street concrete you are referring to?

thanks again for your comments,

I mean swinging the sun around so that it is on the right side of the building rather than the left. Right now, it looks like its kind of behind the camera which IMO is flattening the image a bit.

So far as the concrete goes, I'm looking at your curbs and sidewalk. I assume they are concrete...maybe not? They just look awfully dark to me.

For me there is too much going on with the Brown colors there are 4 different browns. First why doesnt the drive gate match the green of the front fence?

Then you have 3 different brown colors, the garage, the middle area the screen on the second floor. I would make them all the same color and maybe make the center one a darker version of the same color with maybe a vertical plank texture.

Then there is the stone chimney color... its just a bit too confetti for me. I would tone it done to a more standard sandstone color "Masonry.Stone.Ashlar.Patterned"

JMTC

Hi Gary,

thanks for the comments - good idea re matching up the fence panels to the sliding gate.

there are a lot of different browns in this image - i've got the architect to thank for that.

it might change though - so stay tuned. same goes for the feature wall that is currently "Masonry.Stone.Ashlar.Random.Broken Coursed.jpg"

Hi Matt and Tim

the orientation of the house is such that having the sun come from the right hand side would be un-natural. north is virtually directly to the left of the current building view.

The only time the sun would be to the right is in the late afternoon and even then i don't think i could swing it around and still have nice light coming over it.

I'll give it a go though and see how far mr sun would come around.

overall i prefer to work within the realistic constraints of the location (even though the clients may want something else, which is quite often :)

cheers,

just a small note on the people, generally you dont want people walking out of the scene, rather into the scene. Having them walking out gives a feeling that no-one wants to be there and cant wait to leave.

As to the lighting, at the moment its too harsh. Try getting a softer play of light and shade by shifting the sun so that it is glancing the front face and playing with the specular levels of the materials. Early morning or late afternoon is pretty good for Oz settings

The camera could also shift to the left and come in a bit closer, giving a more dramatic angle and depth the composition.

jhv

nice visu stan :)

when I see the pourpose of this kind of visualizations, I always go back to the point where I say to myself....is my costumer happy with the result?

if we become critical about realism your visu needs lots of work, but it does not need to be necesarily realistic, your are showing nicelly the architecture, the materials and the enviroment in general. I would say your mats, together with the ligthning ougth to be precise in order to give more deepness to the render...it looks a little "flat" to me.

one think killimg me; the par of people walking at the very front. the is sun coming in one direction but the ligth on their bodies is the oposite.