House Exterior - First Visualisation

Ausmax

Hi,

This is my first attempt at a visualization.

Any constructive feedback would be really appreciated.

The brick wall was a challenge for me - I realize that it isn't perfect.

My uvw mapping skills need some work. Also understanding how many bricks fit on a width of a wall.

Also the roof capping I found challenging. Tried to use a roof designer app.

to help me create it but I ended up creating this myself.

Grass - well I think l need to start working with Proxy objects instead of bitmaps.

I used a daylight system with Mental Ray for this image. Could anyone tell me how to lighten the shadows using this method?

Thanks for your help in advance

Edited by Ausmax

hi friend...

overall model is good. I observed following things...

1. If u want to make brick as perfect, create one box with same dimension as original brick (eg, 9"x4.5") u refer that box and start adjust ur values of uvw parameters.If u want to assign start point somewhere go to uvw >gizmo then move till u satisfied.

2. Overall lighting makes ur model dull. Sun light (photoetric) or vray light will give better look..

3. either Camera angle need to be changed or vegetation to be added behind the house. and plz use little brighter sky.

Looking forward good works from u...

cheers,

Karuna

Agree with the above, the bricks are way too big... You can google the size of bricks, and then work out how wide/high your texture is in real world units. Apply the UVW map to the model and set the sizes to match those of the real world size of your texture..

Your roof texture needs a bit of work; it looks very blurry which may be as simple as turning down the blur value of your bitmap... Default is 1 for some reason so you should change it to 0.1 in most cases...

Your shadow areas are very dark; make sure you have the FG bounces set to at least 4 to get some light into these areas...

The composition needs some work; change the camera angle to frame the whole house, and move the sun round in the oposite direction so it doesn't come from the same place as the camera.. I'd also probably go with a wider render; 16:9 type proportions as you have a lot of wasted space in the top of the image...

Looking forward to seeing an update though; take all the advice on board from the forum and you'll improve in no time..

1. mapping issues, but then you're aware of that already.

2. is there a reason for choosing this particular angle. you should see more of the ground behind your building. be mindful of the horizon line. i'd suggest you start with an eye level POV.

3. unless you really have a powerful computer, grass mapping will do for this angle.

4. composition-you need to know how to compose your scene. again i see no reason why you want to crop the right side of the image. rule of thumb for an eye level image is 1/3 ground and 2/3 sky. then adjust as you see fit.

keep us updated.

Cant say too much over what other people have said, but I just wanted to re-iterate on what I think the most important thing is - camera angle. Think about your shot... when looking at the house do you really want to see 90% roof? Set it up like you were taking a photo of a real house, and not only will it instantly start to become a little more readable, but you cut out a hell of alot of work trying to populate the background with stuff. Its win win.

Good luck :)

• 1 month later...

I thought I would post my second attempt at Visualisation based on some of your suggestions.

I still need to conquer the rendering side of things.

Hopefully my use of camera angles is better.

I am sure that my roofing skills have improved.

Spent more time on vegetation and composition.

I should say that I rendered this image with default settings using Mental ray

and then touched it up in Photoshop.

Feedback on whether you regard this to be an acceptable piece of finished work would

be helpful. Tips on how to polish it further would be great.

Thankyou.