Creating Water

nisus

Hi all,

I recently saw some nice images with cg-water on it (cfr ingo's latest post in the Finished Images) and I thought we should have a water section at T&T too.

So how do you create water? (Flat surfaces, rain, sea etc.) Do you use plugins for it? Or just plain applications?

rgds

nisus

Ok, you asked for it. In this case its a flat surface with several procedural bump maps applied (intensive use of Alpha channels) and of course a fresnel shader for transparency/reflection/specular, all plain 3D application stuff.

HTH

ingo

hi guys, interesting topic.

just my opinion here, but i'd like to see ppls tips in the simplest of forms. it's all a case of experimenting, playing and testing really. what works best for a particular scene.

for ponds and lakes i literally use just a reflection and a bump map. these bump maps are usually photos of water i've collected over the years.

in the glass T+T we had absolutely reams and reams of material set-up info from ppl. imho half of all this is not needed. this just slows things down, and looks way complicated. simplicity does work.

i bet some ppl here will post up a massive tips posts how they create their water. but how about something simple?

[ November 05, 2002, 02:09 AM: Message edited by: STRAT ]

Ok strat,

Here is one simple techniques (of the many) I use:

I render the water surface twice. Once with refclection (and a smal bump) and once without. Than I overlay both in ps and start adding layer masks, curves, copies and blending modes on it. It's only a matter of tweaking, no re-rendering needed.

rgds

nisus

Originally posted by STRAT:

i bet some ppl here will post up a massive tips posts how they create their water....

Well, i'm not so sure anymore about the massive tips :) Besides that water is a nice addition to every rendering (i'm not talking of watercolor Ernest) it is a nice addition even in reality.

Just my saturday morning thoughts

ingo

• 1 year later...

hello guys,

Its a nice topic and I would have some old memories to share..I have put alot of time in rendering water effects like 1 year back and done some image samples for tests. I've tried various rendering plugins to do so.

Here are some images

Max Scanline Render

bathtub-max.jpg

Mental Ray

bottle-mray.jpg

Vray

bottle-vray.jpg

Brazil

btub-brazil.jpg

Lightscape

ice-ls.jpg

I'll try to post a max file for everyone..need to hunt my old files.

good luck till then

MrCAD

www.mr-cad.com

• 4 years later...

I don't see many architects around here who use Vue 6 Infinite. Since I purchased this tool my skies, terrains and water are fantastic. I import them in Maya and use Renderman for rendering. You cannot tell the difference between a picture and a render. Top notch!

jack

• 2 months later...
I don't see many architects around here who use Vue 6 Infinite. Since I purchased this tool my skies, terrains and water are fantastic. I import them in Maya and use Renderman for rendering. You cannot tell the difference between a picture and a render. Top notch!

jack

Hi Jack,

Went to see Vue 6 Infinite, it's look really great! Was wondering what's the different between xStream and Vue infinite? Also does it able to work well with Max 2009?

For this program, we have to model the skies, terrains and even water then are we able to import into max? hope you can tell me more abt this program. Thanks!

• 4 months later...

I don't know about anyone else here but I certainly wouldn't recommend Vue. While I agree, in principle it looks great but if only it worked as well as they make it out to work.

It's basically a very clunky piece of software and they seem intent on releasing 'improved' versions without fixing much of what is wrong. I believe they are on release 7 now and it is still far from stable.

They could also be accused of misadvertisement to some degree as the integration into other software is not anywhere near as good as they suggest, certainly not in anything other than Max.

It's a real shame as it could be a fantastic tool, but as it stands, I suggest you avoid it until they sort out the stability.

While I ended my journey into Vue after trying the PLE, I know of many who had the misfortune of purchasing the full version. I hear their support is pretty bad too.

As for your question about xStream vs. Infinite, xStream comes with plugins that supposedly allow you to work with Vue files natively in your 3D package or something along those lines, the sad reality is in fact a painful program switching, crash heavy experience.

Infinite is just the Vue software without the plugins.

Hopefully some others can back me up on this?

I just did this image in Vue xStream within Max. I am new to it and this was my first attempt at using vue. I think the image is a bit cartoonish.

The vegitation, background mountains and sky were all done using the Vue max plugin.

I like Vray, and unfortunately Vue is not compatible, so I had to use MR. I am not nearly as good with MR. I went thru bunches of crashes. Some were caused by Mental Ray, some Vue. I seemed to sort thru those issues once I got the way the lighting interacts between the 2 programs.

I am not sure I will continue to use Vue, but it was a worthwhile learning experience.

Thaks guys for your honest review.

Didn't know that it's not compatible with Vray...:(

I feel that it's look real nice on this.

Hmm since it's not compatible with vRay, is there any program that able to do and compatible with vRay?

Right now, for masses of vegitation, there is a max plugin called vrayscatter that works very well with the massing of vray proxies.

As for terrains and skies, don't know of anything.

• 7 months later...

some of my water studies ( not to mention the low res render, my computer sucks with high render)

with particles

final-3b.jpg

with animated noise surface for mini-waterfalls / particles

pool.jpg

dreamscape

waves.jpg

vray ( models courtesy of LIGHt and MATERIAL CHALLENGE at VIZDEPOT)

lightandmaterials-nite.jpg

Edited by ronel

Looks like you've been spending some time working on things. I would love to see some tutorials on the things you have been working on.

a bit :), im fan of particles and max special effect, i hate pluginns, so i find ways matching all those pluginns effect in max. thanks .