LIGHT RAYS FADING?

Guest jodie

Guest jodie

Hey Guys,

I'm from the Philippines and just got hooked on this site.. Anyway how do you create the rays of light shinning thru a window and having a sort of decay effect... I'm using 3ds max r3, any help would be appreciated. have no one here to ask since I'm self taught and don't know anyone who is in to this...

jodie

[ June 07, 2002, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: jodie ]

volumetrics.

your spot or omni needs to shine a volumetric light to create this effect.

to get the fade effect use attenuation.

and to get it shining through a window effect you must use raytraced shadows.

try the F1 help option. all is easily explained in there.

Guest jodie

STRAT,

Thanks for the tip. But I can’t seem to make light rays coming thru a window using raytrace shadows. I use spot or direct light but when I turn on volume light it fills the entire room. When I use shadowmap the light rays or volume light only fill with the light… with raytrace they fill the room...

Hi jodie,

A good tip is to add a noise map as a projector in your spot/sunlight. That way you'll really have rays instead of only one beam.

If it's for a still, I'd do it in photoshop, because it only takes a few minutes to accomplish, whereas you can spent hours tweaking the thing in max.

rgds

nisus

Guest jodie

Thanks guys,

I'll try toying with it once I get these projects out of the way w/c are all commercial exterior...

and one more thing.. cast shadows is always checked.. but in raytrace, you can see the light comimg from a window casting a shadow but the volume light is all over the place... hhhhmmmm....

nisus is right when it comes to rendering times.. volume light slows it down.. really slow...

thanks again...

[ June 08, 2002, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: jodie ]

ok. just tried a test.

havent used volumetric lighting since viz 1 where raytraced shads were essential. now in viz and max 3.x raytraced shads seem to not work, and normal shadow maps do! - so appologies to DelfoZ :)

this is a quick volumetric light test shining through a plate with a logo cut out of it. is this the effect you are after?

raystest.jpg

Originally posted by jodie:

Thanks guys,

I'll try toying with it once I get these projects out of the way w/c are all commercial exterior...

and one more thing.. cast shadows is always checked.. but in raytrace, you can see the light comimg from a window casting a shadow but the volume light is all over the place... hhhhmmmm....

nisus is right when it comes to rendering times.. volume light slows it down.. really slow...

thanks again...

exclude the glass window from the light emitor. and the volumen light come to the room . dont use raytraced shadows 4 volumen light .