What is the Best way to set up an exterior scene in Vray ?

yohozindagi1

I am trying to render an exterior scene with Vray .... but really don't know the best way to approach an exterior scene with vray .... is it the HDRI or ... using IES lights, sunlight or vray sun ..... If anyone could just give me some suggestions regarding this .... or provide me with helpful links it would be great ...... so plz do help me with what u know.

Nandan Tamrakar

- Thank you :)

there is no 'best' way. any way is suitable. you sound like a complete beginner at this - i suggest you sit down for an afternoon and experiment with different lighting techniques until you find something you like. there's no quick fix solution. you must learn in order to progress.

i personally like to use an infinate light as the sun with environmental gi, whilst others perfer the full vray sky/sun system. also, people like sky domes. good colour mapping with the possibility of HDRI and/or LWF also helps.

there's tons of different methods, each as correct as the next, each with it's own 'feel' and look.

go try :)

in essence your lighting isn't completely bad. it's fine by all accounts.

what needs to change is your composition and texturing. thats whats making the renders completely unrealistic.

get rid of the people and car. they're the worst offenders. the put some transparency on your window glass, put in a high res sky, and tweek the general textures to be non-tiling and less standard.

When it comes to quick setups straight out of the box (typical mid-day) renderings, vray sun and sky are the way to go. It used to be the norm for all my renderings in this fashion. But lately I've come to a boredom with the simplicity it delivers.... it doesn't take much to setup a clean blue sky full light sunny day.

I had abandoned HDRIs a while back when the ease of the physical sun and sky were introduced to vray, but like all things that are easy.... they become quite common place. Hence now I'm reverting back to HDRI's and more custom lighting setups for exterior scenes. So now my preference is an HDR with a supplemental vray light to enhance the sun's shadows.

Like others I have grown bored with the Sun and Sky setups. They are reliable, but offer little in the way of pizazz and flare. They lack punch. Lately I have been playing with Vray sphere and either a Vray sky or HDRI combination.

Sometimes I try an IES sun and HDRI combination. I haven't quite perfected either combination yet, but it is getting better, and I am getting more control.

I have also threw in the hat on using camera exposure for the last couple of projects. The last 3 or 4 projects have been done with the exposure on the camera turned off. I feel you have more control over the actual color in the scene this way. No trying to balance white points and such.

Edited by Crazy Homeless Guy

Like others I have grown bored with the Sun and Sky setups. They are reliable, but offer little in the way of pizazz and flare. They lack punch. Lately I have been playing with Vray sphere and either a Vray sky or HDRI combination.

Sometimes I try an IES sun and HDRI combination. I haven't quite perfected either combination yet, but it is getting better, and I am getting more control.

I have also threw in the hat on using camera exposure for the last couple of projects. The last 3 or 4 projects have been done with the exposure on the camera turned off. I feel you have more control over the actual color in the scene this way. No trying to balance white points and such.

Once I was trying to get my target result by working only over exposure control. the result was when my client asked for some changes it was really difficult to come back to my original scene. I was mixing them, working in the exposure and also materials. LOL. So whatever you do follow some methods and techniques that greats are use to follow. :)