Maxwell Render - White Noise...

craftyste

I am using Maxwell Render and I keep getting white dots/noise in my renders. They only seem to appear on white materials such as ‘white pain’ or ‘porcelain’ etc. They persist no matter how long I run the render... And I've run some for VERY long!

The attached image of two interior sculptures (chrome and porcelain) shows the problem. The reflections from the HDRI on the chrome are clear and crisp but the rest is covered in the white speckles.

I am new to rendering and teaching myself so if someone could explain why this is happening and how to resolve it that would be great.

Just looks like Maxwell's standard noise to me? One thing that helps is to lower the intensity of your white materials - never use pure white. I tend to do white walls, paper, porcelain, etc. at RGB 235,235,235 - doesn't seem right, but it looks find and reduces the white noise.

Hope it helps.

The 'noise' looks like caustics to me......that's what a chrome / procelain material would do in reality under bright light conditions. Some of the spots are light source hot-spot reflections too. It's not Maxwell noise for a change ;) - just one of the 'benefits' of having a physically correct renderer.

You can turn caustics off in Studio under the Illumination & Caustics rollout.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by bezz
additional info

• 1 year later...

i've got similar problems and did a lot of "scientific" research the last weeks, based on

many other similar bugs other maxwell users report in various forums.

- its not because of Caustics, I've turned them off (direct/indirect)

- its not because of pure white, I changed it to 240/240/240

- its not because of the Sun, I raised the amount of "Scattering Asymmetry" within the "aerosol properties"

- its not because of lights, i've rendered without every single light emitter a time

- its not because of bump maps or displacements, I've changed the materials

- its not because of indoor/glass, I removed the glass out of the window frames

- its not because of High or low roughness, I've no roughness 0 or 100 materials (anymore)

- its not because of low SL, the effect does not disappear at SL>18 and 18hs of rendertime

My feeling is, the effect is evoked when you have a very shining, especially white material (car paint) combined with bumped and/or displacement-mapped materials. The effect increases in indoor renderings, meaning when the sun has to come through windows.

any new ideas anywhere??

Maxwell render 2.0.3 used as a plugin from 3dmax 2010

System win7, 64 bit

Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz Prozessor

8,0GB RAM

• 2 weeks later...

Top: I don't really see any noise

Middle: Just a bit of good ol' maxwell noise. Render longer or use some good noise reduction software

Lower: Caustics. It's been awhile be back around 2.5 I did some tests that showed how IBL caustics took forever to get from these dots to something that looked reasonable. Physical sky was much faster at producing decent caustics. I can't say to what degree this is still the case but if possible you might try using phys sky rather than IBL.

-Brodie

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...